LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allargando DiFortissimo View Post
From what I've been able to find out, unless it's overheated (literally "cooked"), oil doesn't wear out. Only the additive package does. The oil could become diluted with gasoline, either burned (carbon) or unburned (essentially a solvent), but synthetics are incredible at holding the junk in suspension. Amsoil is, by all accounts, good stuff, but it's not going to make my street car engine last longer.

ADiF
Absolutely a 100% false statement. Also 100k miles on a car is NOTHING for Amsoil.

If you change the oil every 3000 miles with dino oil and it takes 6 quarts of oil, that's 33 oil changes x 6 quarts and 33 oil filters.

What is wrong with doing the same thing with 30 quarts of oil and 5 oil filters?

You're obviously picking dino oil to be cheap. Well, if you want to be cheap, then Amsoil is the way to go. You're not thinking long term.

There's no reason why you can't keep a car to 300,000 to 400,000 miles. Stop buying crap cars that you get bored of. Buy a car you REALLY enjoy and keep it to at least 200,000 to 250,000 miles before you get rid of it. New cars are not $2,000 to $5,000 anymore. I don't understand how people can spend $20,000 to $40,000 on a car and then have to complain about the cost of oil and then try to come up with all kinds of dumb reasons to use cheap oil that is costing them more money in the long run.

Why are you not doing the math?

Jiffy Lube @ $25 and oil change x 33 oil changes every 100k miles = $825

Amsoil @ $60 an oil change x 5 oil changes = $300 (and that's not factoring in the 2 to 4 MPG fuel increase which I've gotten in every single car I've ever used it in.)

So you're basically trying to convince me that I should use a lower quality oil that's going to cost more money long term and fill my engine full of waxes and parriffins. WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!?!

Remember, I was not using Amsoil from the get-go. For almost 20 years I used Castrol, Valvoline, Havoline, Mobil 1 and other stuff. I had no idea back then. I thought oil was oil.

Well, after a few experiences with switching to the Amsoil oil and ATF, I soon learned that there was a HUGE difference. If you ever saw that movie, "The Matrix", breaking out of that 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil change is sort of like the same thing. You're brain-washed to do those intervals because the oil companies are selling you those low quality oils and sell you tons of it. They are getting nearly 200 quarts of oil for every 100k miles of driving from you and laughing all the way to the bank.

My question is, WHY??!?! When you can do the same thing with Amsoil and only use 24-30 quarts and have the engine be in brand-new condition at 100-200k miles?

I saw a Ford van go 950,000+ miles on Amsoil. They took apart the engine and it only had 1% wear!!! And that's changing the oil ONCE EVERY 25,000 miles.

Stop being so close-minded. Try it. Do the 1-year drive and if you don't like it, switch back to what you were using before.

BE OPEN MINDED! I always am... not just for oil, but for many other products such as speakers, amps, tires, radios, surround sounds, TV's, etc. If you have something better than I'm using now, I'm always open for suggestions. I'm not loyal to any brand. There's no reason to be.

Those crap excuses of, "well, my daddy's been using it and my grandpappy's been using it before him, so I'm going to use it , too" is nothing but a huge cop out.

If everyone thought like this, we'd all be using 8-track tapes and never got into CD's or iPods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spit out the kool-aid, man... breathe in, breathe out. You're proseletyzing as well as employing the"straw man" style of debate wherein you make up what you want me to think, then attack it. Kinda 7th grade there, wildman.

1% wear in 950,000 miles? Citations please. Original timing chain/sprocket set? Original valve guides? Original cam & lifters? I've never been able to wear out an engine, but I've never been past 375,000. So far.

You might want to elaborate on that "100% false statement" thing. "Waxes & parrafins?" You must be joking! And you ask me what I'm smoking?

I believe this is now, officially, the "Not Another Oil Thread!"

My work here is finished.

ADiF
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allargando DiFortissimo View Post

My work here is finished.

ADiF
So is mine. I'm not making money by telling you this so I'm wasting my time going any further.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Closed

Thread has long since served its purpose and is now degenerating.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode