2 Days Old- Roof Window clunks ! - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 Days Old- Roof Window clunks !

Just picked up "Dotty Dupree" on Wed and driving over bumps the roof window clunks! I pushed up on the window (drivers seat) and seems loose? I also hear a clunking noise somewhere in the rear. I realize that she isn't a luxury car....(don't tell her that!) but I'm not sure these noises are normal. Also, she seems to almost stall out when I first start her and driving off. Just wondering.....also I see so many problems with others and their smarts. Should I be afraid?
Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:00 AM

A visit to the dealer is what I would do. You mean the panoramic roof polycarbonate pice is loose?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have to remember you are hearing a lot of concerns here in the threads, probably a very small percent of the actual population that has the smart.
When i worked in customer relations I thought the products were junk, but then I realized I was only getting bad calls and it was only about 0.5 percent of the total units sold... So it's not so bad... Nothing major to worry about...
I would be concerned when you see 10+ posts about the same issue over and over again... Then we have a distinct pattern. Like the alarm pops into my head. That could be an issue they have not fully figured out yet...
Time will tell as we get more and more units in the states and more people on this forum...
I agree with GHammerly - Might be a good idea to make a list and take it to the dealer to look over, be hands on and be insistent with them.
I haven't even gotten my smart yet and I know everyone that works at the smart center by first name, it is important to build that relationship, especially when you have issues like these... They are questionable, but they should be able to tell you if it is considered "normal"...

(My dealer is - smart Center VA Beach)

Last edited by bradgarbus; 05-10-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who is your dealer?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottydupree View Post
Just picked up "Dotty Dupree" on Wed and driving over bumps the roof window clunks! I pushed up on the window (drivers seat) and seems loose? I also hear a clunking noise somewhere in the rear. I realize that she isn't a luxury car....(don't tell her that!) but I'm not sure these noises are normal. Also, she seems to almost stall out when I first start her and driving off. Just wondering.....also I see so many problems with others and their smarts. Should I be afraid?
Thanks for any advice!
When I push on the roof it will flex a bit that is not loose, the roof is bonded in (glued) the suspension can bottom out on bumps my pickup pounds flat and send a clunk throughout the car do your best to go around road imperfections. Here in the northeast that sometimes means the median but dont go that far...she won't stall and will smooth out as you both get accustomed to each other. Don't be afraid enjoy Dotty Dupree.
karl
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 AM

There was a series of new 07 451s in Europe that the factory did not properly coat the window sealing area with primer ...left it powder coat (the adhesive does not stick properly)... the adhesive failed and the roof or windshield leaked...I don't think any reported thumping or noises...

Lots of things can make the noises... but I would still have a smart tech take a look at the roof and windshield attachment...

I bet it is acoustics and the passenger seat belt buckle is banging on the plastic trim or seat back....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 AM

While the vehicle is under warranty and when you taken possession of the vehicle and did not experience such noises, the Dealer is obligated to investigate such abnormalities. You on the other hand are responsible to do a thorough inspection of everything about the vehicle prior to taking possession of the vehicle BEFORE driving it off the lot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The clunk of this nature that I hear is the DOOR actually shifting down a nidge, when going over a bump, and a bit of more openness of the frameless window.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Take it to the dealer. I did have the same problem (left driver side was not glued/flexing and I did have a lot wind noise at highway speeds). Roof was replaced. Dealer told me that it was a second smart they need to replace the roof on. On the good side, It took only 2 days to get the part and few hours to installed it.

Good luck.

Cube
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
By the way, I did have the same clunking noise when driving over speed bumps, It was sounded like it is coming from the back of the car. Clunking is gone after roof was replaced. It is possible that it was roof glass hitting the body of the car. Take it to the dealer as soon as possible. IT IS A WARRANTY ISSUE.

Cube.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode