2003 Smart won't start after engine rebuilt (piston rings) - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes I'm in France. Leroy, thank you for your PM but for some reason I can't reply to it.

Let me answer to your questions :

Have you made sure the fuel line is not backwards?

I think so. I put the return line into a tank to see if the fuel pump is working, and there is a steady flow when the engine is cranking. I assumed the fuel lines are correctly hooked up.

This is a picture of the fuel lines :

Will it fire on starting fluid?

Not tested yet but I will.

When you set the timing marks did you have the engine on top dead center by the mark on the balancer on the timing cover? and on the top gear were the marks aligned?

Yes and yes.

Did you use a picture to line them up?

A picture ? I've mainly used the fq101 website instructions.

Did you use new lifters or did you pre oiled the lifters?

I've used the original lifters but I cleaned and pre oiled them before reinstalling.

Did you bleed off the lifters when installing them?

Ah, no I didn't. How do I suppose to bleed a lifter ?

Does the engine turn over real fast with the no start?

No, it turns normally.

Were the valves ground or new valves?

The 6 valves are new.

The way that can be checked is with a compression gauge?

I have 9.0 bars in the 3 cylinders.

Is your car a G&K car?

Sorry, I don't know what a G&K car is

Do you have access to a STAR machine?

No but I have a Scantool with genuine ELM327. No DTC recorded. All sensors are sending correct values. For instance, advance timing shows 4 to 6 deg BTDC when cranking.

When you installed the rings did you check to make sure they were the correct ones.

I bought them in a Mercedes store with the VIN of the car, so I guess they were the correct ones. If not, I suppose there would be no compression at all, or a very low compression.

Anyway I hugely appreciate the help, that's very nice !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
What other things can stop a 450 from starting? Brake light switch? Crank position sensor? Just throwing out that it may be some other system causing the problem.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a strobe light... Is there anything I can do to check the ignition phase without this particular tool ?
Beg, borrow or eBay one?

I see you've installed a new crankshaft position sensor... have you tried re-installing the old one? Possibly the new one is defective.

Does this engine have a camshaft position sensor also? I suspect not, which is what makes the orientation of the flywheel on the crankshaft important.

~toaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK folks, 2 months later and problem solved! I'm sure you're curious to know what the problem was

Initially I was convinced that I missed a little detail somewhere, but actually it was a bit more serious than that.

Well I took the whole engine apart once again, and when I removed the pistons, I noticed the middle compression rings were completely stuck deep inside the pistons grooves (on the 3 pistons).

These rings sets were aftermarket ones... So I ordered a new set of rings from a local MB dealer and reassembled the engine. Guess what? The car started at first crank!

I guess the first rings sets had a problem, or maybe I've done something wrong when putting them on, I don't know...

Now the interesting question is: how could the compressions be OK in such a case, since I had 9 bars verified in each cylinder? My theory, for what it's worth, is the compression was good... as long as there was no explosion in the cylinders.

Anyway, hopefully this experience will help another Smart enthusiast!

Thanks to all of you for your support

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode