LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2006 Smart 450 a/c question/problem

Hello,
My 2006 Smart 450 has 35000miles

A/C dosent blow any cold now, did a few checks, condenser comes on when I press the a/c button and fan is on. Got it refilled and ice cold air lasted 5 days in hot weather thats it. Could not see any leaks. Got it check by mecanic here and he did pressure tests and coulnt not find any leaks, again refill lasted just a few says.

Can someone point me in right direction of what would be doing this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart31 View Post
Hello,
My 2006 Smart 450 has 35000miles

A/C dosent blow any cold now, did a few checks, condenser comes on when I press the a/c button and fan is on. Got it refilled and ice cold air lasted 5 days in hot weather thats it. Could not see any leaks. Got it check by mecanic here and he did pressure tests and coulnt not find any leaks, again refill lasted just a few says.

Can someone point me in right direction of what would be doing this?

Thanks
Unfortunately the 450's were prone to having leaky refrigerant lines and there was even a recall for this.
As your smart was never sold by Mercedes or an authorized dealer thereof in the USA , the only thing you could do is
to order the necessary parts from an international Mercedes dealer (i.e. Canada ) and go from there...

Here's a link to the Canadian smart car site discussing this very problem:
A/c It Works! - Operation and Maintenance: 450 Model, 2005-2006, diesel - Club smart Car
jwight likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Garage
If you have a leak in your A/C you probably won't be able to tell how just by looking because as soon as the R-134a hits the air it evaporates. There is also a few ounces of oil in your A/C system to lubricate the compressor, so you may see an oily spot. Most refrigerant oil is pretty light colored. The only way for sure to find your leak is to recharge your A/C again and add a can of leak detector. It is a fluorescent dye that will coat where ever it is leaking. Then they have a small flashlight that is a "black light" like the bulbs that made all those velvet picture glow back in the 70's. You can shine it around and it will glow wherever your leak is. Most of the A/C lines are buried somewhere in the Smart and are very hard to get at to check them. DCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Neither of my 450s have a working A/C. I thought the 451 had a fragile A/C system but oh my I thought wrong. DCO and lebikerboy are right. Keep clubsmartcar and evilution.co.uk bookmarked as they are the definitive resources on the 450.
Bob Ricewasser likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode