post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,456 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
The divider/cargo cover #11 (on the right in the picture above) is about $150. It can be mounted up to the cargo space ledge (2), or snapped in the lower position (3). As the picture shows:

The cover part rolls in for tall objects.

Last edited by JPaul; 09-04-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: corrected price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Previous ebay item post was for a 450

Howdy all
Previous post about the ebay aluminum pole cargo retainer is made for the previous (450) smart model?

It might work on a current (451)?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#11 in the picture is $173 at my smart dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoster View Post
#11 in the picture is $173 at my smart dealer.
You mean #10, don't you? The one on the left?
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
SCOA Club

No, # 11, the one on the right. #10 was outrageously priced. Please tell me where I can get one for $50. My second car is coming in less than a month.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have divider #10.

If your cargo is lower in height than the cover blind, there is no difference in utility between #10 and #11, except possibly in a rollover situation where items in the trunk might overwhelm the cover blind snap, shift to the front, and cause injury.

If your cargo sits higher than the cover blind, it is obviously safer to have #10 over #11, from a hard-braking situation to anything worse.

#10 does not have the two forward-facing cargo netting pockets in lower picture #11 (with the bananas). I sometimes wish we did have that cargo netting: its absence means that anything we carry must go in the trunk.

#10 has the downside that if you sit in the front, it can be difficult to put stuff in the back from the front compartment. Instead, you must access the trunk from the rear door or hatch, what have you. Ours is a convertible, so we must use the "pick up gate" and eventually lift the rear glass if piling up stuff high. On the other hand, as an upside #11 would let you put stuff in the trunk from the front, but at the following cost: your trunk blind would have to be unsnapped and locked in the open position. This has the potential to become hazardous in an accident situation.

Having said that, you could potentially slide something not too thick from the front seat to the cargo compartment with #10, because the bottom of the divider is not glued to the trunk's floor: it can be made to work like a mail slot (easy to push stuff from the front to the trunk, harder to pull stuff from the trunk to the front). I don't think we have used it more than once in that fashion in 4 months of ownership.

We periodically go to the supermarket in our smart car. We fill up the cart with abandon and with #10 have never had any capacity issues. Stack it up!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Garage
For about $50, check this post:
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...23-post36.html

As for #11, my mistake: $149 (+taxes)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM

I bought #11.

It's good quality, and did cause my wallet to moan a bit in agony (rubber mats + divider were like $230).

I wanted it more for the blockage of crap from sliding into the passenger compartment, and the nets on the front than for the coverage of the cargo area, although that will be nice.

I tend to accessorize a lot with the dealer purchased stuff... my VUE has about $1,100 in accessories on it... the smart is going to follow suit. I like the functional stuff more than the appearance stuff though.

My next purchases are going to be the rubber mats for the dashboard pockets, the cargo nets, the safety kit for the tailgate, probably the chrome package/foglight rings. I'm also eyeing the bluetooth kit, but I'd like to see it in person installed first.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM

I have a couple things on order. They are cheaper than the smart accessories, and since I intend to tint the windows, I'm not so worried about hiding my cargo contents:

Rubber/water trapping cargo mat (Lloyd's Rubbertite--check www.mats4less.com) $37

Rola cargo organizer in large (check ebay) $47 with free shipping

The mat should keep things from sliding and keep my wet/dirty scuba gear from ruining the carpet. The organizer looks great and others on the forum have talked about it fitting perfectly, and the dividers are movable/removable, as well has the whole organizer having handles to pick and remove, and you can fold it up to store it away.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the feedback, I'll try to see both in person before deciding, I'm leaning towards the regular divider #11 (the one with the net pocket)
Thank's Trena for the advice, I'll get that Rola Organizer, look's perfect. I'll get an extra one for my wifes TSX, I know she will love it.

Gus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode