"CARGO DIVIDER + owners" You like it? - Page 3 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have the smart Cargo Cover (#10) installed, and the Large ROLA Cargo Container, which sits directly underneath. For me, it's the perfect combination, as I can just reach back from the driver's seat, pull the top on the cargo cover towards the rear to release it and retract it, then I can access what I want from there, without having to get out of the car. Of course, it's easier to store the things that you know you might want behing the passenger seat (and in the same area all the time), so that it's easier to get to. Reaching anything behind the driver's seat without being a contorsionist would be a real pain!! So I keep my windshield sun shade and CD case directly behind the passenger seat, and it's very easy to get to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I have the divider/cover and keep it in place most of the time. It is sometimes easier to lower the bottom half of the hatch to load things because the lip of the cover sticks out and it's a little stiff. It functions just fine. It has the net pockets, so you can keep some simple items handy on the driver side.

The net is anchored with heavy loop and hook (Velcro) at the bottom, so it can be removed completely if you need to do so. The top bar with the spring-loaded (left) element is easy enough to take in and out. The net narrows the space in the back, which is not a problem most of the time since the part that would be open is from the ledge to the back of the seats, and that drops down to the floor level. I will remove the bar and lower it to give me more space for something large.

For example, we recently went on vacation for a week and took the Smart to the airport. We had a large rolling bag (check size, not carry on) and a large duffel, along with a couple of other bags - five in total. Dropping the bar down allowed me to put in the big bag and duffel and let them extend over the space between the seats and the ledge since there was nothing to drop into that gap. I stacked two of the other bags on top right behind the seats, leaving a gap in the middle and I had a full view out the back. My wife put the small backpack at her feet.

It only took seconds to lift the bar and put it back in place once we were back and the bags were not an issue. It's a pretty versatile solution and it gives you a little privacy for the items you might be hauling in the back - something I sorely missed with my Toyota Rav4. It's a pain not having a space that is not visible from outside the car where you can keep a couple of things. The Smart draws attention, so you know people will be looking inside, even if they don't have any malicious intent. And seeing someone looking into one doesn't look suspicious because it is unusual, so the malefactors don't raise an alarm if they're checking out that new DVD player you just bought at Target and put in the car before running in for an item at the drug store.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
The divider/cargo cover #11 (on the right in the picture above) is about $150. It can be mounted up to the cargo space ledge (2), or snapped in the lower position (3). As the picture shows:

The cover part rolls in for tall objects.
Can someone explain when and how the bottom mounting is used? I just assumed that I'd remove the divider entirely if I needed the area unobstructed. Does it just mount to the floor in position 3, and if so, what is done with the vertical panel/net in that position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,456 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Can someone explain when and how the bottom mounting is used? I just assumed that I'd remove the divider entirely if I needed the area unobstructed. Does it just mount to the floor in position 3, and if so, what is done with the vertical panel/net in that position?
The bottom part of the divider is connected to the floor with Velcro. The position (3) does (allow the flap of the divider to go further down behind the seats and does) prevent objects from rolling forward under the seats without coming all the way to position (2). It is just like a ridge at the edge of the engine compartment.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I noted that one pic of the divider had a net that went all the way to the ceiling? Is that part of the divider / cover or a seperate part? If so, what part should I ask for assuming this fits a Cabrio???

I've got a fat beagle that sometimes desires to jump up front from his proper seating position directly over the roaring powerplant. I'm thinkin that sneaky little doggy would hop right over that divider , but a NET that goes on up to the seat tops now THAT would foil his diabolical and distasteful acrobatic feats....
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
The bottom part of the divider is connected to the floor with Velcro. The position (3) does (allow the flap of the divider to go further down behind the seats and does) prevent objects from rolling forward under the seats without coming all the way to position (2). It is just like a ridge at the edge of the engine compartment.
I think I understand... maybe.
So, I detach the divider frame from (2) and attach it to position (3) for unobstructed loading and a lip at the trunk floor. Where is the net panel intended to go in that position - just draped down behind the seats? I've never seen a picture of this arrangement.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've got the #10 has cargo net on back side behind seats, good for holding maps and glove box stuff. My spare is behind the passenger seat, no problem getting to anything. Dealer cost $145.00
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I think I understand... maybe.
So, I detach the divider frame from (2) and attach it to position (3) for unobstructed loading and a lip at the trunk floor. Where is the net panel intended to go in that position - just draped down behind the seats? I've never seen a picture of this arrangement.
I think #3 mounting points may also be intended as a place to store the divider when you need a little more room for large items.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
$12 well spent....$6 for 2yds of vinyl,, actually $12 but got a coupon...
$6 for spring loaded curtain rod....sewing machine....time....it's not as stiff as the factory but it creates a nice little pocket to put ice scraper and such..and prevents the casual on looker...

jetfuel
amealy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode