User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-42 View Post
"Optima 34/78". same size - double the power of what comes with the car.
Search for: "Optima 34/78", complete writeups

Donald LaFavor
Wouldn't the Optima 34R fit better? It has the posts reversed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM

nemo, did Smart say anything about what the measured voltage was for them to declare it failed?

I ask because mine shows 11.6V after sitting 2 hours or 72 hours. I could swear it started out showing 12.1-12.4 when new.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
aka '24-42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1 View Post
Wouldn't the Optima 34R fit better? It has the posts reversed.
34R wouldn't fit any better, just a little quicker. With the alternative ground being exactly the same, neither method is 'Better'.

The 34/78 is more readily available. I bought mine at Sam's Club for $ 139.00.

"Six one.... Half a dozen the other.

Donald LaFavor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGeek View Post
nemo, did Smart say anything about what the measured voltage was for them to declare it failed?

I ask because mine shows 11.6V after sitting 2 hours or 72 hours. I could swear it started out showing 12.1-12.4 when new.
No, I didn't get any details other than that the battery voltage was low so they replaced it.
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo1 View Post
No, I didn't get any details other than that the battery voltage was low so they replaced it.
Brought our smart to the dealer last week (January 20) after the 3rd jump for a dead battery. SA mentioned the factory had not released a "fix" for the battery failure. I had the dealer keep the smart over the weekend, outside in the cold. SA called Monday morning - "the battery is being replaced with a larger/stronger one and it should arrive Tuesday (January 27) morning". Battery arrived yesterday, but without a "hold down" strap - on backorder. Now I have a smart with a weak battery.

Sorry for the long rant - but it looks like the factory has not found an answer for this bug other than to install stronger batteries. As soon as I get a receipt for the warranty replacement, I will post the "op code" to use with your dealer.

Love the smart - hate the downtime.
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Westfield, the cool thing about the Battery Tender is it come with a "pigtail" - leads that are permanently connected to the terminals of your battery. The other end is a 2 pin SAE plug. I bought an extension, so I run my pigtail under the carpet to just past the back of the passenger seat. I have a 25 foot extension on my battery tender, which I run through the back window of the Smart when it is parked. It's really convenient - my cars sit connected to a BT every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
How long do you think the carpet and the foam in the foot well will last if you keep pulling it up to futz with the battery? This stuff does not go in and out with any sort of ease: you have to fold up the carpet and force the foam holding the tire pump out and then back in. I have already had the carpet replaced once due to fit and puckering issues, don't want to do that again.
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablvr View Post
Brought our smart to the dealer last week (January 20) after the 3rd jump for a dead battery. SA mentioned the factory had not released a "fix" for the battery failure. I had the dealer keep the smart over the weekend, outside in the cold. SA called Monday morning - "the battery is being replaced with a larger/stronger one and it should arrive Tuesday (January 27) morning". Battery arrived yesterday, but without a "hold down" strap - on backorder. Now I have a smart with a weak battery.

Sorry for the long rant - but it looks like the factory has not found an answer for this bug other than to install stronger batteries. As soon as I get a receipt for the warranty replacement, I will post the "op code" to use with your dealer.

Love the smart - hate the downtime.
I have this post in another area but this seems to be the place to rant about the Smart Battery issue. Here is my story......

Smart Battery BLOWS
I left my Smart overnight ( say 30 hours total) at the airport. It was a cold NYC January. And umm perhaps I had left the Dome light on - I'm not sure. The battery was super dead. The airport folks TRIED to jump start me. No luck. I have 6,500 miles on my Smart. I left the dome light on (allegedly). All the kings horses and all the kings men could not start that smart.

Had to tow it! At midnight ugh!!! Then had to tow it again to the SMART NYC when it opened. To make matters WORSE they said that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty because I have a SIRIUS RADIO (hard wired and only goes on when the radio is on)and that causes a constant drain to the battery!

Is that right! I have been driving for over 30 years And have had who knows how many boosts. I have never come accross anything like this.

ALSO - TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY I was charged $250! Now that I heard your story I don't think SMART NYC handled this very well. The flaw is obviously with the inferior OEM battery creating BIG hassels for owners. They should be recalled! NYC didn't even give me an option for a stronger battery (I assume) they just replaced it with another OEM.

Last edited by nycsmart; 01-29-2009 at 05:27 AM.
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Closed

What was the build date of your smart?

It sometimes seems that smart gets feedback on faulty components and quietly rectifies them at the factory level at some point (like the auxiliary air valves). Batteries and battery connections made for commentary early-on.
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 07:27 AM

Saga Continues......
So after an unsuccessful try at boosting AND then getting a brand new battery the radio doesn't work right. It seems like this incident would have to be related to the battery since it happened at the same time. It's a radio 9 and I checked out the CD player which works fine. Just the radio sounds very fuzzy, like the antenna went out. So for those SMART detectives out there. Extra bonus points if you can figure this one out. When it gets a bit warmer I'll check out the back of the radio to if the antenna popped out. Perhaps when it was towed. That's all I can come up with.

Last edited by nycsmart; 01-29-2009 at 07:32 AM.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know if this is relevant to your problem. Folks have reported poor am reception due to a bad AM amp fro the factory. But, I assume that would have been there from day 1. Anyway, those posts say that having the AM amplifier, part # 81623800, replaced (under warranty) helped the AM reception.

Tags
battery , dead , doa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode