Getting a new key just turned into a $1,300+ repair job due to SAM control unit. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Getting a new key just turned into a $1,300+ repair job due to SAM control unit.

I ordered some new keys earlier this month, and went in to the dealership today to get them programmed.

After waiting for almost an hour, someone came out and told me that one of the keys was programmed successfully, but when they tried to program the second key, the SAM control unit locked up. The car is completely unusable right now. They told me it's going to cost $1,300+ in parts and labor to replace the SAM control unit. They also mentioned this is a "fairly common" problem that occurs when programming new keys, and that ours is the "second or third time it's happened".

The car was fully functional before I brought it in to have the new key programmed, and now it's dead until I pay for the replacement parts and labor.

I'm prepared to eat the repair bill, but I was wondering if anyone else had any experience or advice regarding this issue before I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I went to a locksmith to cut and program a key last year I bought from eBay it took 20 mins with no issue. I’ve never heard of this problem, I would think if the software in the SAM froze then a battery disconnect for 5 minutes would reboot it to try again
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
It would seem to me that if a part a dealership is directly working on breaks, they should be the ones to fix it.

If in the event that my working on a customer database results in data corruption (even if it's not my fault) we aren't going to charge them to restore their data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm sorry, but them charging you for the repair due to THEIR mistake is total BS. They need to cover this repair and the cost to you should be $0.
Yinzer likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,442 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmart7790 View Post
The car is completely unusable right now. They told me it's going to cost $1,300+ in parts and labor to replace the SAM control unit. They also mentioned this is a "fairly common" problem that occurs when programming new keys, and that ours is the "second or third time it's happened".

The car was fully functional before I brought it in to have the new key programmed, and now it's dead until I pay for the replacement parts and labor.
So sorry and welcome to SCoA.

Not sure where you are located but it appears that you have a 450? Was the service Center a smart or M-B DEALERSHIP?

Sure seems to me that something as simple as programming new keys should not brick the SAM unless THEY did something wrong??? I'd ask for some "dealer love" and/or proof of the other times it has happened but more important what did they learn so as to not do it again?

Did they offer up a warning that based on prior experiences, this could be the rather expensive result???
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Garage
Admitting that it has happened before 2 or 3 times sounds like they are doing something wrong, they should be buying the new SAM in my opinion...

I would give S.O.S. Diagnostics a call and ask them as a second opinion. They might be able to restore the part, or get another rebuilt one cheaper then $1,300+ ...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanked 1,234 Times in 879 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
And is the SAM actually ruined or do they just not know what they're doing?
magilly00 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mercedes View Post
And is the SAM actually ruined or do they just not know what they're doing?
I know that you are probably much younger than me, and apparently work in the IT field (I'm a civil engineer) but I find that there is something absolutely utterly insane with the way we have allowed businesses to sell us mechanical devices whereby they can be rendered utterly inoperable due to a software error.

Yes, I understand the need for digital electronic IC engine controls so an engine can operate at the perfect state of tune (ignition timing, exact stoichiometric A/F ratio) in order to meet stringent emission requirements. but what kind or economic insanity has allowed to to accept manufacturers giving us cars where the mere act of unlocking a door or turning on a headlight is tied to a device that can render the car inoperable if it fails?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
I would give S.O.S. Diagnostics a call and ask them as a second opinion. They might be able to restore the part, or get another rebuilt one cheaper then $1,300+ ...
Here:

S.O.S. Diagnostics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode