5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm smelling gasoline (fuel pump port)

For the last several days, whenever I drive my smart I smell gasoline. I've looked all over the engine, top to bottom as much as I can see and have not been able to see any wet spots or sign of leakage or seepage. However, as I was just finishing up under the car, I noticed that the smell seemed to be coming from the area forward of the engine, like right about where the tank is.... not good. . I have seen no evidence of gas leaking onto the garage floor, so I'm thinking not too big of a leak, or maybe I put too much in at my last fill-up..???
I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with gas leaks from the tank itself maybe, or filler spout, etc. Anyone know of a common problem maybe??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Garage
Have not seen anything posted about a gas leak (or smell) but on the front side of the motor, there is a breather for for the crankcase vent, which should be attached to the intake hoses. Maybe one of those came off or failed.Not an easy place to get to without a hoist.Otherwise it could be one of the vent hoses on the tank. Just a guess here..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So I guess I'm looking at pulling the belly pan. I'm assuming that's the best access to the vent hoses & breather? You say on the front of the motor.. I have noticed that the smell has dissipated somewhat, at least in the garage where it was pretty strong yesterday. Anticipating another day under the car. (Wish it wasn't so hot here in Florida... but that's what I moved here for, right?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage
If you overfill the gas tank, you may have flooded the charcoal cannister. This will cause a strong gasoline odor that will dissipate as fuel is consumed. When the fuel nozzle clicks off, stop adding fuel to prevent this situation from occurring again. Also, place the nozzle on the slowest setting.
jwight and valvestem like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Anyone know of a common problem maybe??
Don't know if it is common, but there have been several other incidents:

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...el-pump-77937/

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...el-leak-77546/

~toaster
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,225 Times in 871 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Defective fuel Evaporate canister.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Bob View Post
If you overfill the gas tank, you may have flooded the charcoal cannister. This will cause a strong gasoline odor that will dissipate as fuel is consumed. When the fuel nozzle clicks off, stop adding fuel to prevent this situation from occurring again. Also, place the nozzle on the slowest setting.
I'm hoping this - flooded charcoal canister - is the culprit. I spent most of yesterday's hot afternoon under the car. Had it jacked up & on stands as no access to a lift. Dropped the back half of the belly pan and still can't see anything, or feel any wetness. I've got to get it up a little higher.. In the mean time I'm going to drive around a bit to burn off some of the fuel. Seems like this started right after I filled the tank and the gauge is still showing full. ( Am I the only one here that wishes Mercedes had use a real fuel gauge? Analog or digital, but this bar thing sucks. IMO, 'cause you really never know how much is there)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Garage
From what you describe, it looks like you over filled the tank & flooded the cannister. The gauge will not drop down a bar until you have traveled around 70+ miles & then it will drop more rapidly. It is reasonably accurate. Just drive the cars & leave the windows open to went the car. The odor will dissipate.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well. It's a leak. I put the front end up on ramps, and utilizing the trailer hitch I installed awhile back and a motorcycle jack, I lifted the rear end up & sat it on stands. Removed the belly pan and the stamped metal cross-member behind (or in front? I was upside down, so) the tank. Grabbed my little inspection mirror & a flash light. Still couldn't see anything. Started the motor, crawled back under, looked around. Didn't see much at first, thought I saw maybe a few drips, but even with the mirror it's hard to see up in there. Then...whoop! there it is!! While I'm looking around the rear of the tank, gas starts dripping off the front right corner..Glad the rear of the car was higher, I could have taken a bath.... dripping quite a bit, meaning it's getting worse as I hadn't seen any puddles before.
So I guess it's fairly safe to assume that it is the fuel pump..
Now I need to decide if I want to do it myself or pay someone else to do it... A local guy that specializes in European cars, including smarts, quoted me $391 for labor, but for 6 bolts I might's well give it a shot.

Auto Zone has Delphi fuel pumps for $289.99 (web page says in stock) and Spectra pumps for $221.99 by order.

Any experience with these brands? Or suggestion?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Hopefully you will determine if it is just a line leak before spending money on a pump you may not need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode