post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Anticipation.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronlad View Post
Hopefully you will determine if it is just a line leak before spending money on a pump you may not need.
Once I drop the tank I hope I'll be able to tell if it's a line leak or not... Hoping for something obvious. I'd really hate to drop the tank (a task in itself that I'm really anxious about) install a new pump, put it all back together only to find it still leaking. If that happens, at least I'll know how to do it next time.
I'll be back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok. I Chickened out. Car up on stands, about 13 inches to work under. Thought I could use my motorcycle jack to lower the tank but the car wasn't quite high enough to get it all the way under the tank, so I placed it under the heavy end. Started to loosen the bolts on the right side and the tank started to drop down. Pushing it up, I decided that it was going to be too heavy for me to pull by myself... oh I probably could have gotten it out but then I'd have to get it back up in there.... so, Hell! Because I really need the car next week -
Put the four screws back in and called the garage... I was going to drive it up the road, the garage is just a mile, but when I started the car to back it out of the garage, the drip, drip, drip leak had become a full on gushing leak.
Called AAA.
Garage called me the next morning and confirmed that I needed a fuel pump. Pump came in the next morning and around 2: pm it was done. He showed me the old pump. The leak, just as I've seen posted here before, was at the plastic (nylon?) port coming out of the top. Apparently, when I lowered the tank, I had stretched the fitting and made the leak much worse.
So... smartie is home, running good... I'm a tad poorer than I was a week ago, but considering that we've got 133,000 + miles on the odo, and this is the first time it's had to go to the shop - ( well, AC had to be fixed two yrs ago) - I can't complain..
jwight and OliverB like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And, a follow -up: The car was returned to me with roughly 1/2 tank of gas. Drove it around Wednesday & thru the weekend. Monday morning, in anticipation of Tuesday's & Wednesday's trips to Orlando (80 mile round trip) I went to the gas station for a fill up. About 1/4 tank showing on the gauge, gas starts pumping in. lots o' gas going in.. What? As I'm thinking "why's it taking so much?" the pump trips off at 8.1 gallons! On top of a 1/4 tank? Gasoline pouring down onto the ground under the car.... son of a b....!! The garage I took it to, being an family owned independent business, is closed - vacation for the entire week! Made the two trips to Orlando in my Astro Van with it's whopping 15 miles/gallon.
Tuesday, this week (garage people didn't open Monday) Drove the smart back to the garage and told them the problem.
About 5 hrs later there's a knock on the door. It's the garage owner and his wife returning my smart. Seems that the seal under the top of the fuel pump didn't get seated properly. (seems like I've seen this posted on the forum somewhere) They re-aligned it, then topped the tank off to test it.. I had another trip to Orlando on Wednesday, Drove the smart. Everything's now OK, No leaks and maybe my imagination, but the car even seems to be running more smoothly than it has in awhile.
Oh. and 130 miles on the trip meter, still showing a full tank on the gauge. Either they really topped it off or (hopefully) my mileage has improved.
Moral of this story - If you do this job, Watch that top seal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just had to replace my fuel pump yesterday because of the same aforementioned defect (crack) in the top of fuel pump where hose connects. The pump was $255.11 delivered to my door from genuinemercedesparts.com. I am proud to say I did this repair myself, It was fairly easy.

Here's a video I found of the problem.
www.blvdautorepair.com - YouTube" target="_blank">2008 Smart Car Broken Fuel Pump Fuel Leak www.blvdautorepair.com - YouTube
jwight likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hogdaddy For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (08-24-2017)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuel smell in my 09

My '09 after filling yesterday started wreaking of gas fumes inside. Looks like I am probably looking at a pump or canister from what I am reading. Aggravating since I never pump more gas after the pump clicks off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode