LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Closed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For smartbillet

smartbillet:

If we are to be bugga-boo'd with cheap-but-critical plastic parts, perhaps you can get an original model and re-do them in annealed aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
Any idea from the techs on the reason for the plastic breaking?
After driving the smart for a day since the fix. The shifter goes easily into park and feels much much better than before.

Why did it shatter... me trying to get it into the park position over and over. Before it broke, the shifter would not glide into park. Now that I look back at it, it felt like something wasn't aligned properly. And by me trying to get it "INTO" park a few times took its toll.

I haven't driven a manual transmission since 1983 and when I would put the gear shift into 1st gear for parking, sometimes it would be difficult to get it in. The smart felt the same way and I would play with it to get it into park.

So my advice would be if it feels difficult to get into park I would take it to the dealer to see if something needed adjustment or realignment.

Mark (aka Bob_Parr)
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Mine was in the shop for six days with a stuck key too. It is the shifter module and not the trans. This problem is becoming more widespread as more cars are delivered. I look for a recall. They used parts out of the showroom car to fix mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCOCHRAN View Post
Mine was in the shop for six days with a stuck key too. It is the shifter module and not the trans. This problem is becoming more widespread as more cars are delivered. I look for a recall. They used parts out of the showroom car to fix mine.
they are already in the process of recalling the cars to the dealerships for inspection. although, it's not an official "recall" and nobody is saying those words. when they called me back yesterday (for the second time) and asked me to schedule an appointment for a PDI inspection, i asked what this was all about. they are definitely talking in circles as we have seen on many other things with PAG and SmartUSA. he would only confirm that they want to look at the shifter...

i'm guessing that this also explains the delay in getting all of those cars that have been sitting in port for months to the dealers. i would guess that they are adjusting/repairing all of these things before they leave the US port now so they don't have to pay each dealer for an additional repair once they receive the car.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Is that anything like "sort of pregnant"
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Cable clamp.

Had a chat with the service manager at Smart Bloomfield MI.

The problem was a few NA 451s did not have the shifter cable retainer tight. Our shifter is unlike the Euro model and this was a production learning curve glitch.

Yes, this was the hold up at docks. They re-inspected every car to be sure the problem was fixed.

A2Jack.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:01 AM

I had heard thar rumor somewhere else. There was too much tension on the wire harness and it was pulling apart I think.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM

I've had mine for 3 days and today I can't get the key out of the ignition. I was fortunate that I had looked at the forum and took my extra key with me. I'm a little pissed-seems this is more than just an occasional problem. Smart should be a little more proactive about this issue
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 PM

I had exactly the same problem-Took it to the dealer this morning and they replaced the entire shifting console right away. I was out of there in an hour-fortunately they had one in stock
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew55 View Post
I had exactly the same problem-Took it to the dealer this morning and they replaced the entire shifting console right away. I was out of there in an hour-fortunately they had one in stock

Wow that's great, I hope all the dealerships are as well prepared. A lot of cars have part issues, it all comes down to how the company handles it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/key-stuck-ignition-3862/
Posted By For Type Date
key is stuck in ignition smart | BoardReader This thread Refback 05-17-2008 04:31 AM
ignition | BoardReader This thread Refback 05-17-2008 04:28 AM