Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart Operation and Maintenance (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Runs fine then start misfire (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/runs-fine-then-start-misfire-123345/)

YellowSmart 08-15-2016 12:45 PM

Runs fine then start misfire

Please help - My Smart started misfire 1500km ago with engine misfire on cylinder 1 - replaced all 6 plugs, plugs on cylinder 1 was totally carbonded up the rest was like new. Engine started misfire again, the funny thing this time is when you switch the engine off and start again it runs fine for a few minutes and starts misfire again - thought it was the same, took out the plugs - this time the top plug of cylinder one was burned away, bottom plug had a bit of carbon but was fine. Replaced the plugs. Every time you Start the engine - same thing, runs fine for a few minutes then start misfire and loose power. :shrug::shrug: Can it be the injector?

jwight 08-15-2016 12:58 PM

Welcome to SCoA! :)

Smart Bob 08-15-2016 02:29 PM

You might try a good strong dose of combustion chamber cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam. Looks like you are deposit following one of the spark plugs on cyl. #1. A compression test followed up by a cylinder leakage test may also be useful in diagnosing your concern.

YellowSmart 08-15-2016 10:11 PM

Thank You - will definetly try - will post the outcome

CROCK 42 08-16-2016 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smart Bob (Post 1376929)
You might try a good strong dose of combustion chamber cleaner like Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam. Looks like you are deposit following one of the spark plugs on cyl. #1 . A compression test followed up by a cylinder leakage test may also be useful in diagnosing your concern.

Bob gave my 2013 a double shot of that "Marvel Mystery Oil" - when my smart got a misfire on #1 . --> IT WORKS...

valvestem 08-16-2016 05:07 PM

Dont use so much MMO in your gasoline so as to cause catalytic converter issues down the road, if you have a converter.

jwight 08-16-2016 05:43 PM

If it's the burned valve syndrome MMO won't cure it. :)

YellowSmart 08-17-2016 10:58 PM

I am back - Unfortunately we can not get Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam in New Zealand but used "Nulon combustion cleaner - apparently the best in NZ". Still the same - running perfect when it is ideling up to +-3000rpm then starts to misfire on no1. Replaced the No1 injector - this did not help ither. I will do a compression test as soon as I get a compression tester.

Any other suggestions??

Smart Bob 08-17-2016 11:11 PM

Have you checked your coils? I would switch the coils around and see if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

YellowSmart 08-17-2016 11:24 PM

Thanks - have not thought about switching the coils around, will defenetly try it.