Runs fine then start misfire - Page 4 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did a fuel pressure test on the inlet line today. Came back at 48psi (3.3bar) at idle. Spec is 55psi (3.8bar) I think or 58psi (4.0bar) if you're running the Audi FPR. Maybe my FPR or pump aren't good.

Wondering if this could be it.... almost certain its a fuelling issue. New Audi 4bar FPR is on its way so will report back!

ps If either the new FPR or replacement ECM don't cure it I'll buy a Chinese STAR, already have the laptop so just need the multiplexer and cables, only slightly more expensive than getting the city Mercedes blokes to scan it apparently =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I have a 451 that used to do this. It turned out to be the seal between the throttle body and the intake manifold. It had developed a wrinkle in it. Twice. I used Honda Bond on it the last time I put it together, and that solved it. I don't know what the throttle body or seal look like on the 450, but I thought I would mention it. It was aggravating to say the least. My drive home was on a length of road with a 40 mph speed limit that seemed to bring out the misfire at that speed which was right around 2000 rpm. If I recall correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to BB Benz For This Useful Post:
junosi (10-27-2018)
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well nothing good to report =/ Chinese STAR arrived and works well, but doesn't really give me any more info that I already had - a misfire on cylinder 2, but only at mid-rpm. No other codes present and all live data etc looks good.

Fuel pressure regulator did nothing, only thing that helps (makes it go away) is unplugging the water temp sensor (which tricks the pcm into giving it more fuel). Put new intake seals all round for good measure

At my wits end now. Wondering if it could be a PCM fault or an invisible vacuum leak in the plastic intake manifold around cylinder 2. I'd like to get a smoke test done for that and then maybe a good 'scope guy to observe pulse width on the injectors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode