Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Garage
ScangaugeII users!!

A strange thing happened to me today when I left from work at noon.

It was quite warm out mid 80's, I started my smart up and pulled out of the parking lot. I noticed the Traction control light was on.. I stopped and shut off the ignition, and restarted. Everything looked fine. As I pul;led out onto the street, all the dash lights started flickering on and off quickly, and the engine started lurching like it was in the wrong gear. I pulled over and shut off the ignition again. Restarted and the engine light, brake light and ABS ligt stayed on as did the traction cotntrol light. I quickly checked for smoke from under the dash (none thank you) and called my buddies at Smart Bloomington, with visions of another burning car in my mind.

I then shut off the ignition again, waited a bit and restarted..... Everything went back to normal.....

I had taken the afternoon off to have my rear window checked out at the dealer so I headed on up (about 73 miles) and the car worked fine.

Joe up at Bloomington Smartcenter came up with 2 1/2 pages of error codes and descrptions from the incedent.. He asked about the ScangaugeII which I had removed from my previous car and installed in my new car. It is being sent in for testing to see if it has a problem...

My question is

Anyone have their ScangaugeII mounted on the dash in direct sunlight and had problems on hot days??

Mine has been sitting on the dash since I got this car about a month ago, and it was in my last car for 7 months before that.
Looking for a common item between the 2 cars. it is either the Scangauge or the hubcaps...

P.S. the Smart car is fine, doesn't seem to have suffered any any damage except to my ego.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
My scangauge was on the dash all of last summer, no problems.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Red Roller Skate
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have mine on dash on Velcro right before where pods would be if you had them so it's in direct sunlight. I have absolutely no problems but have had mine for a month now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM
He's not mine
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,626 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
Mine rests on my black dash. July through October 2008 and, so far, March to July 2009. No problems. BTW, highs in the mid 80s won't be seen here again until mid Fall. Mid (to upper) 90s is the norm.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Any thought that maybe your last car might have fried your scanguage as it fried itself?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm left wondering if there's too much traffic on the CAN bus or if there's a conflict in addressing that didn't resolve quickly.

What functions do you typically use? And are those functions typical of most users?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've left my Scangauge in direct dash sunlight, up to 110 degree outside temps, since May 2008 (installed immediately on delivery). Not a single problem - the gauge gets dark with the heat, and it can't be good for it, but everything works flawlessly. I scan for codes every few days and haven't gotten one so far.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Mine ( In a differant car ) did not have any issues in the heat. It does fail to wake up in the cold from time to time. Can't say I blame it. I wonder if the plug expanding or contracting in differant temp. could be an issue?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Garage
I use speed, MPG, FWT and RPM only. The cable and gauge and port showed no noticable damage and it appears to work normally. I have had it sitting on the dash of both cars since Sept. of last year. Temps have been higher than the two times I had problems (with each car) My cars have both been Black/Black Pure(s) so there isn't a lot of stuff on the Can Bus. No power windows, seats, paddle shift etc. It has been velcro'd on the dash in the same spot, right where the Pods normally are.

It's tough to not be paranoid when everyone is out to get you....

Last edited by jimvw57; 07-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My very first scangauge was brand new... and it did a whole bunch of weird stuff to the car... check engine light on, can't clear it, can't communicate to the car and if I changed settings it would literally shut my car down even if i'm in drive! It was dangerous... eventually I sent it into scangauge the company and they replaced it and it was all well... try unplugging the scanguage and see if it still has issues... mines only had issues when I had it plugged in so yes the scangauge could give you problems if it's broken.. =P

Larry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode