Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart Operation and Maintenance (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Turn on the radio without the key (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/turn-radio-without-key-13838/)

dbarrans 09-13-2008 08:41 AM

Turn on the radio without the key

I discovered a new "feature" a few days ago in my passion. I was installing my new clock/tach pods, and I happened to stumble across a way to turn on the radio without the key on.

1) Before you shut down, make sure your wiper control is set to the "auto" position, and the radio is on.
2) Shut down the car and take out the key.
3) Open the door.
4) Bump the wiper control to the off position.
5) The radio comes on. :-)

I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I tried again the next day and it did the same thing. Yes, I'm certain I didn't mess up the wiring while installing the pods. The first time it happened was before I touched any of the wiring.

- dan

JPaul 09-13-2008 08:48 AM

As far as I know, one can turn on the radio without a key anytime. It should stay on for about 15 minutes only though... Just hit the on/off.
That's what must have happened to you.

rbtgold 09-13-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarrans (Post 136513)
I discovered a new "feature" a few days ago in my passion. I was installing my new clock/tach pods, and I happened to stumble across a way to turn on the radio without the key on.

1) Before you shut down, make sure your wiper control is set to the "auto" position, and the radio is on.
2) Shut down the car and take out the key.
3) Open the door.
4) Bump the wiper control to the off position.
5) The radio comes on. :-)

I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I tried again the next day and it did the same thing. Yes, I'm certain I didn't mess up the wiring while installing the pods. The first time it happened was before I touched any of the wiring.

- dan

hmmmmm...all i have to do is push the on/off button and the radio pops to life (w/o key in ignition). BTW... im not sure if it makes a difference but this is the "upgrade" option radio/cd)
rbt in mke!
yellow/silver cab

Karl Roth 09-13-2008 09:25 AM

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...-key-car-6236/
We don't get the parking lights on the US spec cars but the radio will turn on without the key if you look there is no acc position. Works with all of the cars with the stock radios can't say with the aftermarket ones but they are probably connected to the same feed as the stock ones.
karl

dbarrans 09-13-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Roth (Post 136523)
... the radio will turn on without the key...
karl

Hmmm. I guess I never tried that. It turns off with the key so I figured it wasn't powered in the off position.

I'm still a bit baffled that it turns on when I turn the wiper control to the off position.

- dan

wdw412 09-13-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaul (Post 136515)
As far as I know, one can turn on the radio without a key anytime. It should stay on for about 15 minutes only though... Just hit the on/off.
That's what must have happened to you.

Agree!

SmartyPants25 09-13-2008 12:26 PM

I was told about this feature when I picked up the car as part the grand tour of the vehicle. Its supposed to be turned on just by pressing the on button, no need to mess with the wipers. I have factory radio 9.

Razorback 09-13-2008 03:31 PM

Press radio PWR button radio comes on for 30 minutes then auto shuts off. radio 10.

dbarrans 09-14-2008 02:35 AM

Well, OK, just pressing the power button works for me too. After three months, I'm still learning stuff about this thing.

- dan

2442 09-14-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarrans (Post 136764)
After three months, I'm still learning stuff about this thing.

- dan

After 13 (Thirteen) months, I'm still discovering new things about this car.

Donald LaFavor