Why is my battery dead - I wish smart roadside was more helpful! - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Admin emeritus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is my battery dead - I wish smart roadside was more helpful!

Went out to my car this morning to find a dead battery I guess. I am currently on hold with smart USA still but I must admit that its not the best experience. On top of not being able to go to work I'm also unable to lock the car since the battery is dead.

Sounds like I am right back in the spot I was a month ago. Trying to enjoy the smart as a daily driving vehicle but learning that this isn't something I can completely count on. Is anyone else having these feelings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMART View Post
Went out to my car this morning to find a dead battery I guess. I am currently on hold with smart USA still but I must admit that its not the best experience. On top of not being able to go to work I'm also unable to lock the car since the battery is dead.

Sounds like I am right back in the spot I was a month ago. Trying to enjoy the smart as a daily driving vehicle but learning that this isn't something I can completely count on. Is anyone else having these feelings?
If the battery is dead there is a reason. My smart is my daily driver, I drive it about 500 miles a week, and find it to be reliable. I had a flat about two weeks ago but the low press warning system gave me a heads up and I drove on to work and removed the tire and had it repaired. The battery being dead will have a cause, lights left on, car not driven for extended period of time, poor battery connection, charging system problem, and etc. If there is a problem with the eletrical system of your car contact the dealer and have them correct it.

My smart just turned three months old and has 6000+ miles on it and I find it as reliable as any car I have ever owned.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 AM

I think if you take the little plugs with the smart logo out of the keyholes in the doors you can use the key to lock it at least.

Mine has a really ugly zit that the dealer put on but the car itself is running well and seems very reliable so far.

It makes a cheap rattaling sound when idleing but I think it is comming from the cheap rattler the dealer put on to hold the temp tags.

pfft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie Boy View Post
If the battery is dead there is a reason. My smart is my daily driver, I drive it about 500 miles a week, and find it to be reliable. I had a flat about two weeks ago but the low press warning system gave me a heads up and I drove on to work and removed the tire and had it repaired. The battery being dead will have a cause, lights left on, car not driven for extended period of time, poor battery connection, charging system problem, and etc. If there is a problem with the eletrical system of your car contact the dealer and have them correct it.

My smart just turned three months old and has 6000+ miles on it and I find it as reliable as any car I have ever owned.
Let's hope so since at that rate your warranty will only last you a year.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
Lonely at the Jetta diesel fan club clogged intake stories got you down...?
karl
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
A little longer than a year since I purchased the smart 100,000 mile extended service contract, but even at that it will be about 3-3.5 years. I don't care if some of you think that purchasing the extendended contract is stupid, if I never use it it will be money well spent.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMART View Post

My car starts every morning and has run all day when asked not a feeling but fact. Think 99% of the owners that own them have had a lot of fun and no real problems. People that have had trouble have not been shy about sharing the fact with us. Have you been able to find out what caused the battery to go flat on you?
karl
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
A little longer than a year since I purchased the smart 100,000 mile extended service contract, but even at that it will be about 3-3.5 years. I don't care if some of you think that purchasing the extendended contract is stupid, if I never use it it will be money well spent.
At least you got to choose, you don't need to defend your choices to anyone insurance is a very personal choice. Not getting a choice and being forced to buy something sucks.
karl
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
you and me both, brother man. I think it was the right move. I am sure time will prove us right.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:09 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Smartie View Post
you and me both, brother man. I think it was the right move. I am sure time will prove us right.
If after the 24k warranty we have a major problem, I hope not, then we were brilliant. If we have no problems at then we were foolish, but I will have peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode