Wiper problem - How should I troubleshoot? (bad wiper motor) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wiper problem - How should I troubleshoot? (bad wiper motor)

Hello,

This is my first time posting on a forum, so I hope I'm not asking a question that's already been answered! I've got a 2005 fortwo that's always been working great. However, the wipers got stuck in the "up" position, and won't come down unless I give them a firm "nudge" manually, then they come down again. When they are stuck in the "up" position, the motor is still making a noise.

I can't see any obvious problem with the wiper system... but it's almost like a gear lost a tooth and the wipers won't engage until pushed by a few inches and then they come back down. If I open them again, they get stuck any time they hit the "open" position. I've looked at diagrams of the system, quite confusing.

Does anyone here know what might be the problem? I'm hoping the fix isn't too complicated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA! The 450 isn't as common of a model you'll see around here, and I think our 450 guys are sleeping, so I'll do my best!

Anyway, it sounds like either your wiper mechanism needs to be "hacked" or replaced:

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
I've had mine frozen to the windshield more than a few times when I parked, and had them on "intermitent", the next time you start, they want to "go". Mine got all out-of-sync a few years ago. The dealer fixed it for free, the gearing was "out of whack". You might need a new drive, from the sound of it, smarts have too much damned plastic in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 07:29 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
The first thing I would do is disconnect the wiper motor from the linkage. Then I would turn the wipers on to see if the motor continues to run or it runs and stops. If the motor runs and stops with the wipers turned on then power and ground to the motor would need to be verified. If present, the motor is bad. If the motor continues to run, then turn the wipers off and see if the motor parks properly. If so, manually put the wipers in the normal parked position and reconnect the linkage and re-test. Check to make sure all the linkage is able to move freely with no excessive play while it is disconnected.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the answers guys! I'll get right into it. Looks like I've got quite a bit of "taking apart" to do, in the classic smart fashion ;)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quick update, in case it can help anyone who reads this threat. It turns out to have been the wiper motor itself. After replacing it, I opened the old one. Inside is a worm-style gearing. It was entirely stripped on about 30 degrees of the big wheel. When the wipers stopped, it was because the "worm" was spinning nothing. Pushing the wipers would get them back on the gear until they hit the same spot again. If anyone has that, and lots of time, I think it might have been possible to replace the plastic ring itself, but it is quite intrusive and would be time consuming.
The Following User Says Thank You to soaringsam For This Useful Post:
Smart Bob (12-31-2016)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Banned

little idioscyncrasies on a tiny car, glad you have the fix! i wonder if the wiper system is about the same for the 451.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadexample View Post
little idioscyncrasies on a tiny car, glad you have the fix! i wonder if the wiper system is about the same for the 451.
There is a wiper motor and linkage for sale on an ebay seller Autobahn, that says it fits 08-13
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Garage
They do seem to use alot of plastic and I would venture to guess it's for weight savings and cost. They figure it will probably last the life of the car I guess. But over time even plastic gets brittle and breaks. I don't know what Mercedes would say is the life span in years of a Smart Fortwo. I know it's not what a Mercedes C class would have for a life expectancy, but I suppose one of these years from now I will open my Smart driver door, get inside and when I slam the door shut the plastic will shatter like glass and fall to the ground. Do any of you car gurus know if they actually estimate the age of a car to last in normal service and care? I wonder how our little boutique Fortwos rank in age? Probably the engine is the first thing to die on a Smart ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

i was driving an MB 1986 190E when i got my smart, it was 22 years old and solid. i just got a new heart valve, it's supposed to last 15-16 years,it's from a pig. see how that goes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode