ZERO power unless I shut off and restart... - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ZERO power unless I shut off and restart...

Okay all this is just as odd as my issue I had with signaling left and my radio display turning off.... which was fixed by Smart replacing the radio....

I took my smart out the other day to get a bath and some petrol.... which in itself was uneventful...

Later that day I went to get some beer since I had guests coming over.. on the way to the shops the check engine light popped on but NOTHING seemed to be wrong with the cars functions.

I stopped... popped open the boot lid and engine cover to make all 'looked' normal... everything looks fine.... so I drive to the off license and get my alcoholic fun bottles....

When I restart the car the check engine light is still on so I called the dealer who told me it could be the petrol cap.... I take it off, make sure it is clean and pop it back on nice and tight.

The engine light stays on but the lady at Ray Catena did say it might take 72 hours to go off...

The next day I get up; start the smart to warm it up, get ready for work and off I go....

However, when I stop at the end of my drive way to await a clear run I can tell something is not quite right... but no panic... until.... I have a clearing.... I push the GO pedal.... and ZIP... nothing.... it acted like the exhaust was full of bananas.....

No issue I think.... perhaps it just needs to warm more or get rid of a little rough petrol....

So I drive about 10 miles (and the car is not getting better, and can't get over 40 mph) - I stop at a local cafe that I pass on the way to work and grab a coffee....

Jump in the smart, start her up and off I go and everything is FINE!! No judder, no stall, all the power is back.... so I think brilliant we are good to go....

The I go to leave work a 5pm.... rinse and repeat the above....

The smart is back to zero power... so I 'try' the stop the engine, start the engine that worked that morning.... and bugger me, it work - everything was fine, so I drove 31 miles home...

Alas, though, I did call 1-800-SmartUsa and the came and took my silver toy away to the dealer last night....

I am awaiting the medical report......

Cheers

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, sounds like the same problem that I just had on my BRAND NEW 09. They ended up being on with Tech support and it was a bad Throttle body. What had happened was I hit a bump and then she drove like crap. After doing a lot of Troubleshooting, it came down to the Thrttle body. They are guessing that one of solder joints was faulting and finally came loose on the bump. So, I bet that is what your problem is. Your solder joint on your throttle body finally freed itself. I would tell the dealer to start there. If they have questions, tell them to call the Round Rock dealer and ask them about the throttle body they just replaced on an 09 Rally Red Cabrio.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM

We have an 01 Passion, which for the last few months has been behaving quite naughty!
She drives, then even at full acceleration down the motorway, complete power loss! No acceleration! we have to pull aside and restart, then she would drive for abit and lose power once more. sometimes if you "give gas", pump the pedal a few times, sometimes you would get back some power, most times not. as you can imagine, it's extremely dangerous at roundabouts, on motorways and quite embarassing having to restart all the time especially when in traffic!

we have no clue what to do, and really want to avoid the hefty charge that Merc wants to levy on us just to check what's wrong. They call it an investigation, which may or may not produce a result.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE about my smart

I need a new fuel filter (which also happens to be the sender unit) - 300 bucks + labour

Turns out I have water in the tank :-O

I always use the exact same petrol station so I know where it came from.... I'll be calling the Weights and Measures people as soon as I get my car back.....

The dealer said I had about a quart of water in the tank which I had just filled up from damn near empty the day before.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Just an update.... my car is back and alive

The local station where I got my Gas and Water beverage for the smart are paying for the repairs to my car - which is brilliant since I didn't want to eat the $800

Bloke that owned the station and his insurance were very honest and forthcoming so though I have no receipt they made no qwarms about paying me back

Cheers

Ian
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
SCOA Club

SmartHHO, that is what happened to me this morning. Hit a pothole in the dark, got ESP light and then no acceleration. Stopped car and restarted, drove ok then got warning light again but car continued to drive fine for 5 miles. Got to the stop light and then it would not accelerate. Turned it off and on again a couple of times and then it seemed fine. I just went out again and drove it around for a couple of blocks with no problems.

Will be watching it close!

Last edited by dichrodave; 02-09-2009 at 08:51 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
SCOA Club

Still having problems with the light coming on. Today I also got the check engine light and it would not start. Had to try several times before it started. Still have ESP and check engine light on. Had it towed to smart Center Portland. Hopefully they will find something tomorrow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 PM

I have a 1999 fortwo and it's doing the same thing, when I get to a traffic light the triangle light ( traction control) turns on and the car dies, the problem I have is that I live in Uruguay and there are no dealers here or anywhere near. What parts of the throttle body I have to order to see if that is the problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode