User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
450 gaser engine (bay) dimensions?

Hello all!

I am highly interested in getting a (G&K) 450 ('05, 0.7L turbo) in the near future.. but the thing is.. I actually want a diesel to run biodiesel (that I plan on making myself, and not the simple backyard method).

I know that more than a few CDIs are floating around the US - even some for sale right now, but I would actually prefer to have something with more solid paper work. I've actually called the NHTSA to gain insight on a certain CDI in the States and they had no records of it being legally processed w/ a conformity package, and although tracking them down for seizure is a job for Border patrol - at the border - they wont be putting man power into trying to collect them at this point. They actually told me this 'off the record', so feel safe if you have one.

Be it as it may, from what I have read, the CDI is quite lame in comparison to the turbo gaser.. so a straight swap (considering going across the border for an engine? maybe do a swap/trade with a Canadian that wants the turbo petrol instead) isn't all too desired.
I would actually like to know more about the swap Leroy did, but due to being a new member and lack of posts I cannot PM just yet. He has certainly listed the components and a few mods needed elsewhere, but nothing indepth that I was able to find - no dedicated post on the swap.

As such, I am looking at possible alternative diesel engine makes, but without possession of a 450 in my garage, I am not actually having any luck finding dimensions of the current M160 (nor OM660) engines from any technical documents to compare with something that may "drop in" and actually fit (without too many mods). Would anyone have these dimensions - or available space in the engine bay? even if you have a spare laying around and you use a measuring tape.. it could help me determine what I may be able to use.

I understand it will be a bit of a project, and maybe even sacrilege of altering a legally imported (via conformation) 450 gaser - but it's what I am interested in.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,764 Times in 3,486 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA!

Have you inquired on the Canadian site, Club smart Car, since all of their 450s are diesels?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I have not - I tried to poke around there to find the information, but I haven't asked there yet (would need a new registration for them as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,764 Times in 3,486 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, you would.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

for reference, posted at club smart car
http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/t...ay-dimensions/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

small update to maybe help others..

I got the CAD file from the fellow who converted his roadster to EV, and used a 450 subframe.. so I actually have some reference of sizes of the frame, though not specific to the original motor - and thus still lacking a little of original/obtainable hieght, but it's a start

from Smart Roadster - Conversion to electric car: Frame CAD assembly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

I just got off a two hour phone call with Leroy..

I am not shy about doing a swap w/ a cdi at this point (given proper test equipment).. great info..

(I had basic issues on trying to locate other makes of diesel motors of decent power/weight that would even attempt to fit in such a small space, I think I gave up in that regard)

We'll see how things end up - but either way, I hope to give status updates on where it goes!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I have a new diesel that is for sale. It's not gong to be a cheapo car but we can talk about the price. I built it from a new rolling chassis and a new motor and donor parts from a Canadian car. It's a much as new with about 200 miles on it. Let me know if you'd be interested. Fully titled and registered. I did all the hard work. Then again it sounds like you are looking for a project and want to build your own. In that case I can share how that goes. This one took me three years.

PS. if you are going to make you own fuel you will have to run the car. I looked into it and homemade fuel has a shelf life so you have to use it up and keep making more. I don't run this car enough to make that work. Would love to though and maybe some day I will. T
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

While I await the info on Dan's car..

the 7" of added length of the 451.. where is most of that added length? such as 2" in the hood, 2 in the cabin, 3 in the engine bay? or all 7 in the cabin?
Looks like wheelbase is 2" longer..

The idea here is if I decide to go the route of putting a NON smart cdi engine in something, considering I live in the States - replacement parts for the 451 are much easier to come across than if I had a 450..

just some added thoughts to the mix..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode