Smart Car of America Forum banner

MPH, manual shifting, non E10 gas

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ASmartMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All

Some 450 owners have stated they get 50 MPG+ in their Smarts, as can be seen here I hit 48 MPG just once and get mid 40s the rest of the time http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/194504.html

So yesterday, when fueling up in the mountains, I filled up with Shell V power 93 octaine and decided to drive in 100 % manual.

A Disclaimer needs to be made here: 1, first time I've used a non E10 gas, 2: first time I shifted exclusivly in manual 3: used back roads (rt 28 with a speed limit of 55 mph).

Now having said that, my first blob usually goes out @ 106 to 116 miles mark, this time my first blob didn't go out until the 132 mile mark (almost a 20% increase).

Of course only time will tell if these advantage hold true for the rest of the tank, but I have high hopes:).

The only thing I will not know in the end (if the mileage stays high is), was it the non E 10 gas, manual shifting, or the 55 MPH speed limit, or a combo of all 3.

My tire pressure is 32 PSI (all the time) I did the DE-Lip and the K&N filter 3 tanks ago with no noticable difference so if my mileage does increase then these factors can be ruled out.

It will be at least a week before we know the final results (40 mile per day commute), but I will update with the final results.

ASM

EDIT: Update, 2nd blip just went out @ 201 miles still looking good:)

EDIT: 3rd blip went out @ 263 miles

Edit: 4th blib went out @ 323 miles

Refiled with V93 octane Shell (this one has E10 added) I had 366 (and still 1 blip left) miles on the trip and it took 7.78 gallons for a total of 47 MPG .

Will repeat using exact conditions as with last tank, this will tell us if the E10 plays much of a roll.

Will update as gas gets used

ASM

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey All

Some 450 owners have stated they get 50 MPG+ in their Smarts, as can be seen here I hit 48 MPG just once and get mid 40s the rest of the time http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/194504.html

So yesterday, when fueling up in the mountains, I filled up with Shell V power 93 octaine and decided to drive in 100 % manual.

A Disclaimer needs to be made here: 1, first time I've used a non E10 gas, 2: first time I shifted exclusivly in manual 3: used back roads (rt 28 with a speed limit of 55 mph).

Now having said that, my first blob usually goes out @ 106 to 116 miles mark, this time my first blob didn't go out until the 132 mile mark (almost a 20% increase).

Of course only time will tell if these advantage hold true for the rest of the tank, but I have high hopes:).

The only thing I will not know in the end (if the mileage stays high is), was it the non E 10 gas, manual shifting, or the 55 MPH speed limit, or a combo of all 3.

My tire pressure is 32 PSI (all the time) I did the DE-Lip and the K&N filter 3 tanks ago with no noticable difference so if my mileage does increase then these factors can be ruled out.

It will be at least a week before we know the final results (40 mile per day commute), but I will update with the final results.

ASM
Can you explain "DE-Lip and the K&N filter"? Thanks!

David

#10 ·
#11 ·
ASmartMan;

I won't be able to get to the P.O. today, guaranteed posting tomorrow.

I wonder if something along the lines of;

"450 450 450 450 450 450 450 450 " 450 exclusive

"450 451 450 451 450 451" both models

as a top row on posting would help, just an idea.

Donald LaFavor

#12 ·
Man - more confusion about 450/451. sheesh

Here is a link in regards to fuel. In the UK the Shell gas you mentioned is one of the preferred choices for the smart -

http://www.smartarsedesign.com/rebuild.html#fuel

The K&N is a good filter but clogs quickly. There are much better options such as the pipercross, ITG, powertec, etc. they have been discussed in detail on smartmania.co.uk and smartmaniacs.co.uk.

The smann scoop is a nice mod as is the michalak sucker. They each have their own purpose. The scoop is better for speeds over 50-55 where as the sucker works better for city driving or slower speeds. This is only what I have read however I have had both. The smann scoop was great on the highways but I do feel an overall improvement with the sucker. I have no dyno results for either. Strictly my own opinion afte using both.

De-lipping seems to be a controversial subject. Some say it works and others don't. With the michalak sucker you don't have to worry about it because it replaces the OEM inlet that has to be delipped.

If your looking to get more air into the turbo and engine then I would suggest also replacing the intercooler pipes. There are two types, silicone and stainless. Once again, controversy with both. Silicone can compress and expand and stainless steel supposedly will hold more heat from the engine bay. Your choice - I chose the stainless.

#13 ·
micromachine

I knew of the ++++ comments about that fuel that is why I chose it, I cheeped out on the scoop (150 for a S MANN scoop was too much I don't think so) so this is why I did http://www.putfile.com/pic/7561372 http://www.putfile.com/pic/7561369 http://www.putfile.com/pic/7561370 http://www.putfile.com/pic/7561371

I angled the flat plate to scoop in the fresh air, regardless the scope,K&N filter and the de-lipping gave nothing I could notice in MPG, having said that it did feel like it ran better (or maybe I was hoping), this V powered gas and manual shifting looks good so far.

My next plan is to get one of these http://www.auterraweb.com/dyforpacan.html ( a dozen e-mails have gone between us and everything looks good). I will be connecting it to 1 of these
Amazon.com: Garmin iQue 3200 PDA/GPS Handheld System with North America Detailed Street Mapping: Electronics

Trip computer, with GPS, and the ability to record trip data, give me about 2 weeks to get all the parts in

ASM

#14 ·
Will that OBD scanning tool work with the G&K smart? I ask because I know that the modifications that they did make it so the X-guage and Scanguage won't work. I am curious to hear if they have sold one of these to another owner of a G&K smart.

So far the only item that I know that I know of that works is the MDC bord computer but that is because it does not plug into the OBD. That and the WinStar but those are about $2500 just for the software.

#15 ·
Here are tonight e-mails

One more thing, just to ensure you get everything you need. You will need a serial HotSync cable for your Palm. If you get the Garmin iQue the Auterra cable to get is the C-103. A USB serial cable will not work.
To summarize:
A-300 Palm kit
S-101 Windows kit
C-103 Serial HotSync Cable
U-100 USB-to-Serial adapter (unless you have one already)
Dave
Brent,
1. Correct. To clarify, if you purchase the A-300 Palm kit and S-101 Windows software you can return the entire order (A-300 and S-101 both), not just the S-101 software. Don't forget, the A-300 kit uses a 9-pin serial port. You PC will require a serial port or a USB-to-serial adapter (about $20). Almost any USB-to-serial adapter will work. We sell one, and most computer stores do too.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, the Palm software comes with an export application that allows you to export recordings to a CSV file for Excel.
5. The 10% discount applies to the entire order, not just software.
6. Yes. I would create a coupon code specific to your club (like smartcarclub, or something) for your members to use.
If you order tonight, it will ship first thing tomorrow morning. We are in San Diego. 3-day select UPS should get it to NH by the weekend.
Once you get the product, email me if you have questions.
Dave
1:To summarize. The A-300 will allow me to test to make sure it works with the Smart Car with the Windows software (can be returned if it doesn’t).
2;According you what I read, if it works in windows it will work on the Palm (with some limitations soon to be ironed out).
3; As I read, as long as the OBD and the GPS are intended to be used as 2 separate functions there should be NO problem.
4: So far so good, but of course a few more questions in OBD mode will I be able to record actual driving data, and be able to import that to my PC for graphing in something like excel?
And last, the 10% discount is on the software ONLY, you know if I get this to work I will gift this windows software to another member.
And last but not least, if everything works as I hope it will, can you give special offers to my club members (no exaggeration there may be 100s ).
If the answer to 1-4 is “Yes Definitely” I will place an order NOW (I need something to do this coming weekend) So I would be ordering the 300 with Windows software and Palm software with your next confirming e-mail
Let me know
Hi,
Yes, the iQue will work with our Palm-based scan tool products.
It will not be possible to return one software disk (Windows) for another disk (Palm). However, I can offer 10% off the purchase of both the Palm A-300 scan tool kit plus the S-101 Windows software if you want both. Within the 30-days you could return both products for a refund. You could not, however, just return the S-101 Windows software. Both the scan tool and software would be returned together.
Here is the 10% off coupon code:
tenoffsale
You can use it to purchase any products, as long as the total is greater than $100.
Note, if you want to use Palm and Windows software, you'll need one of our serial scan tool kits (A-300 Palm or A-301 Windows). The A-302 Windows USB kit will only work on Windows PCs. Palm requires a serial port.
If the Palm software works on the Smartcar, the Windows software will too and vice versa. They use the same hardware adapter and share much of the same software, even though one works on Palm and one Windows.
Even thought I will be doing the initial test on a laptop (to make sure it works), I would want to return the windows software and exchange it for PDA software.
I am not looking to integrate the OBD reordered data with the GPS data, I’m just looking to have a versatile tool that allows me to see real-time auto data and on the rare trip where I need directions to have a GPS (built in) to give me the directions, as well as a PDA that allows me to store data (phone #s address, etc.
Thanks for the quick response
Brent
Thanks for your interest our products. Let me try and answer some of your question.
All of the A-300 series and A-500 series products should work on the Smartcar. All of our products have a 30-day money back guarantee, so yes it can be returned for any reason.
The Palm A-300 works on most Palm PDAs. I am not sure what GPS features you are looking for, so I'll provide some info for each product type below.
Here are some A-300 things to note:
- I only know of one Palm with GPS built in. The Garmin iQue series which is discontinued. Are there others?
- The Auterra Palm software does not log GPS position, whether using an internal or external Palm GPS.
- The Auterra Palm software fuel economy feature uses an older algorithm and is not as accurate as the Windows and DashDyno based products. It also works on fewer vehicles. It the future, it will be upgraded to the next algorithms.
- The Palm cannot be charged while connected to the vehicle.

greetings
My Name is Brent Shepard and I have a few questions about your product, but first some background
I own a Smart car (made by Mercedes Benz for Europe), this was imported by G&K Importers in Ca, there are 1075 converted (to US standards) currently on the road in the US.
We have tried various trip/OBD recorders/readers for these cars (now it becomes strange). Scangauge II works on the model sold in Canada but NOT the US or the EU. A trip computer called the X Gauge works on the EU version but not the US or Ca versions. BUT a trip computer called MDC works on all US,Ca,EU, but it is at a hefty price (and 1 trip computer works on all, separate models need not be ordered).
Now comes my questions.
I am a key member in the US forum for this car forum http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/ and my handle is ASmartMan , others are waiting for me to beta the various units out there and make recommendations.
I’m not looking for something for nothing, I am willing to buy your 300, unit BUT IF it doesn’t work I need to be able to return it, and if it does work, I would like to exchange the Windows software for the Palm software (I’ll be testing with a laptop first).
The ultimate goal (of the group) is to have an OBD II reader/interpreter connected to a GPS capable Palm. Because there are many GPS palms out there some with serial ports and some with USB, that is why I need to test it on a laptop first so I know what OBD reader/recorder worth with what port.
Any input/help in my quest would be greatly appreciated.

Brent R Shepard

#16 · (Edited)
well its ordered

hank you for shopping at Auterra.

This email is to confirm the receipt of your recent order from Auterra.
As soon as your order is shipped (pending credit authorization), we
will send you a separate shipment notification via email.

If you selected PayPal as the payment choice, please send the payment
to auterra@sw-sol.com to complete the transaction. If you paid with a
credit card, this extra step is not required.

If you have any questions, please email us at support@auterraweb.com.

You can always find out the current status of your order by going to
http://order.store.yxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date Mon Feb 25 20:36:59 PST 2008
Ship to Brent Shepard
XXXXXXXXXXX
Londonderry NH 03053
US United States
XXXXXXXXXXX
Bill to Same
E-Mail brent_shepard@yahoo.com (emailed)
Via UPS Ground
Payment Visa
Comments 10% off according to Dave

Name Code Qty Each Options
****************************************************************-
Dyno-Scan for Palm CAN A-300 1 209.99
Dyno-Scan for Windows S-101 1 69.99
Software
Subtotal 279.98
Coupon discount -28.00
(tenoffsale)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.