1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
starting problems

Hi,
I have a 2005 450 and last month the car starter motor did not crank the engine. There are many potential causes.
If the starter system was working properly and the shifting system was working properly prior to the no crank problem...theb this could be the problem.
With mine, appearantly G+K did some rewiring of the speedometer. I noticed that along with the no crank problem the 3 bars were flashing in the transmission display on the speedometer and other times the transmission indicator was blank, no flashing key symbol.
IT"S A LOOSE WIRE TO THE SPEEDOMETER. I banged on the on the speedometer and one of the illumination lights flickered and then came fully on. At the same time the key symbol started to flash and I knew i had found the problem. The car statrted normally, except the 3 flashing bars needed to be reset by a battery disconnect. The speedmeter has it's own computer which talks to the main computer and is telling it that something is wrong (from the loose connection) and the main computer responds by not starting the car.
I removed the speedo and "exercised" the wires and connectors to "improve" the bad connection. I have had no problem starting for the last month.
Many suggestions were proposed as to what was wrong, from dead battery, bad grounds, bad starter motor, bad transmission motor. Non of these were the problem.
One suggestion that should also be checked is the brake switch, as it is prone to failure and would result in a no crank condition. Any questions call 845 298 4229.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip bshul.

If I have read correctly, no start in a 450 should have the following trouble shooting performed:

• check battery
  • check starter relay in SAM
  • check for loose connection(s) in speedometer housing
  • check for broken brake switch
The brake switch is so common that there is a test written up at Evilution: Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

And the brake switch replacement how-to:
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

My 2005 Smart left me stranded out of town yesterday. I had made several stops on my way to my destination. At my last stop my car engine would not make a sound, not even an "I'm trying".
A good samaritan tried jumping the car. No luck! 2 other good samaritans tried to roll start it, no luck.
I'm going back to retrieve the car tomorrow, Friday. Does anyone have any suggestions? The battery is new and has plenty of "juice".
Also, yesterday my key fob would not lock or unlock the doors. Could that be part of the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Lazy River 2005 No Start

Hi,

My 2005 Smart requires a door unlock from the key fob before it will be allowed to crank. The key fob need to work. Do you have a spare fob?
Is there a flashing key symbol in the speedo gear shift display when the key is in the ON position?
Call me 845 298 4229....Burt
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Hey Everyone,
I have a smart for 4 and removed the battery and replaced it with anew one. After connecting the new battery, a key symbol appeared on the dashboard and the car would not start. The engine turns and everything works but the engine just won't pick to keep the motor running. help please.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,764 Times in 3,486 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA! Since your car is basically a Mitsubishi Colt you might try a Mitsubishi dealer or mechanic if there's one close.
Huronlad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode