5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
2008 Smart Fortwo running rough!!

Hi, The engine light in my Smart is on, I know I can put it on a scanner to find out why but until then maybe someone can help me. The car runs fine but when I stop at a stop light the light starts flashing and when I take off it's all herky jerky and sputtering and has no power. If I stop and turn the car off and re start it it runs fine. Any ideas of what it could be. I don't know if it is maybe a bad O2 sensor or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Munster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Garage
doesn't sound good... My guess is you are losing a cylinder. Hopefully it is a bad plug or coil. You are most likely going to see a P0300, P0301, p0302, or P0303. depending on the miles, I would change plugs, and maybe look into a compression test.
If the engine detects a cylinder loss, it will shut down that cylinder to try to save it. shutting off the car and restarting it will reset that but if the problem isn't fixed, it will happen again.

If you get a FLASHING Check Engine Light, that is usually a bad thing and you shouldn't drive it unless you find out what is wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimvw57 For This Useful Post:
Soundeng (02-25-2019)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The car has 92,000 miles on it.If I was losing a cylinder why would it run good again after I restart it? I only got half of your reply until after I replied back.Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munster View Post
The car has 92,000 miles on it.If I was losing a cylinder why would it run good again after I restart it? I only got half of your reply until after I replied back.Thanks for the info.
If the ECM detects a misfire it can turn off the fuel injector for the offending cylinder so it is not dumping unburned fuel out the exhaust. The injector is re-enabled when the key is turned off, then on again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rustedwrench For This Useful Post:
Miss Mercedes (02-25-2019), Mister_smart_LA (07-30-2017), Smart Bob (07-16-2017)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munster View Post
Hi, The engine light in my Smart is on, I know I can put it on a scanner to find out why but until then maybe someone can help me. The car runs fine but when I stop at a stop light the light starts flashing and when I take off it's all herky jerky and sputtering and has no power. If I stop and turn the car off and re start it it runs fine. Any ideas of what it could be. I don't know if it is maybe a bad O2 sensor or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Munster
Any funny smells ? My mind goes to plugged cat converter as a possibility. Mind you, there should be no reason why it would run fine after restarting, unless you let it sit for a while.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,343 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Garage
My 2009 ran good for 168,000 miles until one day it dropped a cylinder when heading to work. I drove about 3 miles and it would shudder and shake, no power, etc. When I shut it off and restarted it, the CEL went off and it ran for another 3 miles or so. eventually the CEL wouldn't g out but I could reset it with my scangauge II. I got a compression tester and found cylinder #1 had 65 PSI and the others had 155 and 160. even after finding that, it would run OK for a bit before the computer would shut down the cylinder. Exhaust was replaced at just over 100K miles.
Car was driven roughly 100 miles a day on highways and back roads so it didn't have any carbon built up. Adding oil to the cylinder did not change the reading so I assume it was a burned valve. Regular oil changes with Mobil1, premium gas and filter changes at recommended intervals, same with plugs, etc.

The computers on these cars do a big job of monitoring a massive amount of sensors, they will detect a problem before you can feel it.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
My 2009 ran good for 168,000 miles until one day it dropped a cylinder when heading to work. I drove about 3 miles and it would shudder and shake, no power, etc. When I shut it off and restarted it, the CEL went off and it ran for another 3 miles or so. eventually the CEL wouldn't g out but I could reset it with my scangauge II. I got a compression tester and found cylinder #1 had 65 PSI and the others had 155 and 160. even after finding that, it would run OK for a bit before the computer would shut down the cylinder. Exhaust was replaced at just over 100K miles.
Car was driven roughly 100 miles a day on highways and back roads so it didn't have any carbon built up. Adding oil to the cylinder did not change the reading so I assume it was a burned valve. Regular oil changes with Mobil1, premium gas and filter changes at recommended intervals, same with plugs, etc.

The computers on these cars do a big job of monitoring a massive amount of sensors, they will detect a problem before you can feel it.
168K miles, nice ! I was wondering about lifetime mileage expectancy.........
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How are the cylinders numbered?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
They are numbered right to left with the right side being cyl. #1.

The Following User Says Thank You to Smart Bob For This Useful Post:
Munster (07-30-2017)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info....

Hey guys - I have a 2008 Passion doing these exact things - just started this morning....
Check engine light popped on and the car runs rough - I got it home thank god - but this thread at least gave me a direction to start looking.... Gonna have the code read so I know exactly....it only has 67000 miles on it...

I've been working on cars for years - but this is my first Smart - and I love it as my commuter car..

I was gonna buy spark plugs soon anyway cause they are due - but I'm hoping the code will give me there exact issue...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode