User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimvw57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
how critical is the inside car or "cabin" air filter?

What exactly does the cabin air filter do? Will it remove odors from inside the car? Can you put a fabric softner drier sheet on one to make your car smell fresher? Our little car just has a little "musty" smell. Also previous owner was a heavy smoker!! Any advise? Got our new windshield installed at our home for under $200 and ordered my new stock size tires that will be delivered to my home for $210 this Friday. Local shop says $15 each to mount and balance. Also I changed my own oil and filter yesterday. Went with Mobil 1 0-W40 European formula and Mobil 1 oil filter. We are excited to get our little car completely road ready to sport around town!! Walmart had a 5 quart oil jug for $22 and a filter for $10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Change the filter . It’s easy and you will get your socks knocked off once you see the condition of the filter . Gross . Most folks ignore this filter , don’t !
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Cabin filter removes dust from the air entering the cabin. Not sure about a dryer sheet but I know that in humid climates you gotta change it more often otherwise it gets moldy. To get rid of the cigarette smell I would take it the carpet and wash it. For the seats you can use a wet vac. Might need to do it twice but it works well.
I run sick tires, although I run 45psi but I like them. My local Walmart mounts and balances tires for 9$ a piece last time I did it. That was last year though.
As for the oil. Good choice.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...-1-rebate-2019

That's a rebate for Mobil 1. Should save you 17$ or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
What exactly does the cabin air filter do? Will it remove odors from inside the car? Can you put a fabric softner drier sheet on one to make your car smell fresher? Our little car just has a little "musty" smell. Also previous owner was a heavy smoker!! Any advise? Got our new windshield installed at our home for under $200 and ordered my new stock size tires that will be delivered to my home for $210 this Friday. Local shop says $15 each to mount and balance. Also I changed my own oil and filter yesterday. Went with Mobil 1 0-W40 European formula and Mobil 1 oil filter. We are excited to get our little car completely road ready to sport around town!! Walmart had a 5 quart oil jug for $22 and a filter for $10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
The filter generally just makes the air cleaner in the car. I sometimes attach a home furnace air freshener on mine. No mold and a very long lasting fragrance (several months) that comes from an invisible place! That last bit never ceases to amaze passengers.

To get the cigarette smell out you'll basically want to clean every surface in the car. It's hard to get cig smoke completely out of a car.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Garage
Be aware that your car doesn't hold 5 quarts of oil!! That is a god price for Mobil1. If the cabin filter gets clogged, there will be less air flowing out the heater and the A/C could freeze up on you. Easy to change out. I usually wait until after the farmers get their planting done so there is less dust and dirt in the air (Farming community).
Smart Bob likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Jimvw57 thanks for the warning and I did read where it takes 3 1/2 quarts with filter and that is what I did. I also will wait a little bit longer to install air filters because we are in the piney woods of east Texas and the pine tree pollon is HORRIBLE this time of year. Might be the wrong thing to do. Maybe I NEED the filter in now DURING this high pollon time?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I would replace the cabin filter now and enjoy pollen free air inside my car, if I were you. My allergies are bad this time of year, and cars with cabin air filters help me. Of course, I use the a/c all the time, too. Worse mpg’s are better than a sinus headache. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode