Smart Car of America Forum banner

p0497 code

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  etaent 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I got a p0497 code today when i scanned my 08 Smart for two convertible (US). It says Evap issue. Any ideas?

#5 ·

The Evaporator system pulls gas fumes from your tank that would normally escape into the air and stores it in a vapor canister. Then it allows the engine to draw out the fumes to burn them in combustion when you restart the engine.

The gas tank and charcoal canister (#2) is located between the underside of the car and the belly pan under the passenger side of the car. There is a couple of valves Y50 and Y58 that seal up the tank to keep fuel from leaking out if you are in an accident or a rollover. One of these valves could be bad or it could be as simple as a cracked hose. It could also be that when you filled the gas tank with gas you forced a little more gas in it after the gas pump nozzle shut off. Sometimes that can flood the system and cause a check engine light. If it is that is should clear up on it's own, otherwise having to drop the tank to inspect the connections is more involved. DCO

#6 ·

It could also be that when you filled the gas tank with gas you forced a little more gas in it after the gas pump nozzle shut off. Sometimes that can flood the system and cause a check engine light. If it is that is should clear up on it's own, otherwise having to drop the tank to inspect the connections is more involved. DCO
Good to know. I'll stop doing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.