LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM
King of Smart Gadgetry
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Garage
It is possible that your TPMS just needs a reset. Air your back tires up to 34 lbs and the front ones to 29. Then go turn the ignition switch to the on position. Then push in the TPMS button for about 10 seconds or so. It will flash and when you let off the button it will reset. Now drive the car around the block a couple of times and see if the light comes back on. If it does there's a good chance that one or more of your tire sensor batteries are dead. Tire sensors only transmit when the tire is in motion. They have an inertia switch inside. The TMPS will warn you if a tire pressure increases or decreases about 4 to 5 pounds over or under the amount of air that you just put in at your reset. It only reads pressure variance not actual lbs. Once it is reset and it stays off for a long time you can air up the faulty tire that is low and the light will go out on it's own because you aired back up to your "reset set" pressure.
As far as your P050A shows on my Smart code list as Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance. It's a generic code for all models. But my list has been wrong before. DCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
I'll figger this car out
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarOwner View Post
It is possible that your TPMS just needs a reset. Air your back tires up to 34 lbs and the front ones to 29. Then go turn the ignition switch to the on position. Then push in the TPMS button for about 10 seconds or so. It will flash and when you let off the button it will reset. Now drive the car around the block a couple of times and see if the light comes back on. If it does there's a good chance that one or more of your tire sensor batteries are dead. Tire sensors only transmit when the tire is in motion. They have an inertia switch inside. The TMPS will warn you if a tire pressure increases or decreases about 4 to 5 pounds over or under the amount of air that you just put in at your reset. It only reads pressure variance not actual lbs. Once it is reset and it stays off for a long time you can air up the faulty tire that is low and the light will go out on it's own because you aired back up to your "reset set" pressure.
As far as your P050A shows on my Smart code list as Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance. It's a generic code for all models. But my list has been wrong before. DCO
Thanks for your help! I will do work on thye TPMS after I find a way to get the transmission to engage and move the car. Then I have to figure nout how to troubleshoot the cold start Idle Air Control System Performance unit.

If anyone has a non Star scanner that has/can do the diagnosis/reset for my vehicle, please let me know. It will cost me to ship the car to a smart service station in Indiana since there appear to be none in Michigan.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I tow the car to my house Friday, and the in-depth work starts. That's why I'm looking for some way to get the transmission to engage. Then the exhaust holes are repaired.

I'd like to find info to identify and test all sensors, as well. THANKS!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
So first thing I'd do is clear the codes and see what comes back. It does take some engine cycles for codes to go away on their own. Any old scanner should be able to clear the codes. Do it with ignition on and engine off.

If you can push the car in Neutral, I would assume your brakes are not locked up. The ABS and ESP fault may be reluctor rings. Car is high mileage, lives in Michigan, and ten years old, good chance at least one of them is just a pile of rust.

If you see D or R when you put it in gear, but all the car does is buck, it may be worth it to remove the clutch actuator and give it a good cleaning and lubing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strelnik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCarOwner View Post
Thanks for your help! I will do work on thye TPMS after I find a way to get the transmission to engage and move the car. Then I have to figure nout how to troubleshoot the cold start Idle Air Control System Performance unit.

If anyone has a non Star scanner that has/can do the diagnosis/reset for my vehicle, please let me know. It will cost me to ship the car to a smart service station in Indiana since there appear to be none in Michigan.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. I tow the car to my house Friday, and the in-depth work starts. That's why I'm looking for some way to get the transmission to engage. Then the exhaust holes are repaired.

I'd like to find info to identify and test all sensors, as well. THANKS!
I'm from Michigan as well, we have a smart center in Ann arbor. It's the same Mercedes dealer but they also handle smart car servicing. Did you check if your brakes have locked up? Has the car been sitting for a long time?. If the car is showing the selected gear on the screen but doesn't move then either the clutch is worn completely or some other thing is wrong.
I use the icarsoft scanner, I bought it of amazing for $100 or so. It works well and is able to detect all of the modules in our smart cars.
The TPMS could be any number of things, however it's not critical, I suggest you fix the transmission and abs before attempting to fix it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode