post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
2008 Smart Fortwo: Smart Car...Stupid Transmission

Edmunds rips the transmission:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.eea0dd8/15

This is about as harsh a "review" of the transmission as I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancote View Post
Edmunds rips the transmission:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/.eea0dd8/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmunds.com 1/29/2007
First, not to put too fine a point on it, but the transmission sucks. It's not a letdown. It's not a disappointment. It sucks. I should explain that it uses an electrohydraulic clutch, which means no torque converter and no third pedal. But, if you think the SMG transmission in the last M3 (a similar design) had hesitation issues during each shift, this transmission needs a few weeks advanced notice if you want the shifts to arrive on time.

But, believe it or not, that's not the worst part. No, the worst part is the "engagement" (I use that term lightly) between the engine and the transmission. Essentially, every time you come to a stop it seems the engine might stall, because the clutch waits until the last possible moment to let go of the flywheel. Pulling away from a stop results in a similarly "lurchy" experience.

So, it's at its worst whenever you stop and/or start.

And don't forget -- IT'S A "CITY CAR!"
Ouch, and he's shorting Penske stock. Guess he doesn't figure in the 30,000 cars presold.

BTW, I drove the US spec 451 around the block in Venice, CA last week. Transmission was much smother than he reports in the stop/starts. And much better than the Euro spec cars 450 and 451s I have driven previously.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM

I wonder if they test drove the new version or the old?? I was hoping the transmission shifting issue was somewhat resolved.

I guess I don't understand why the fuel mileage rating is so low either?? Although I do understand that the criteria and testing on the fuel mileage for new cars is different then it was in the past, and all cars are generally getting a lesser rating based on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddlecar View Post
I wonder if they test drove the new version or the old?? I was hoping the transmission shifting issue was somewhat resolved.
Based on his description of the drive (Los Angeles, PCH, Santa Ana Winds) which happened in the past couple of weeks, and the arrival of the US spec smarts at the smart House in Venice and at the LA Auto Show two weeks ago, most likely he was driving a US spec car.

If you drive the pedal heavy without letting up on the shifts it does lurch. Driving it more like a manual with a modulated pedal cuts down the bunny hope greatly.

I didn't feel the grabbing at stops.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spread the word! It sucks! Everyone with a reservation number from 1173 to 1368 cancel your orders!!!!

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
Spread the word! It sucks! Everyone with a reservation number from 1173 to 1368 cancel your orders!!!!

Make that 1174 to 1368, and my wife will sign up to get one too! ;)
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Carnut, you wish!!
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 PM

The gearchange on the euro-spec car that I drove when the road show came through Seattle was by far the worst thing about the car.

The smart rep was about halfway through his script on what an amazing gearbox the smart has when I asked him if they all shift so slowly. He probably figured out that I was trouble when I tried to toss it around the third corner on the drive. Felt kinda bad for him.

Since the drive was just around the block (lame), I was just starting to get a feel for how to shift and apply power for best effect when the drive was over.

alan

P.S. this #1262 is not giving up his spot.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks!! I had to clean my monitor after spewing coke all over it.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Smartie
SCOA Club

Ah, he obviously is just used to driving super smooth automatics all or most of this driving life and/or shifting with a clutch once in awhile. I expect my own learning curve will initially reveal my thought that it is not like an automatic shifting, but I am sure with alittle time getting used to it, handling the cars shifts will become second nature and the shift delay will all but disappear. When I drove the car last summer, it only took me half way round the block to develop a technique to enhance the shift ....I am not worried about it at all.
Just another over-reacting columnist who happens to comment on the cars he drives with no thought given to a different method of linking the engine to the transmission controllably. He'll get over it..... BTW...I didn't feel any grabbing at the stops, either. Maybe he's a 2 footed driver.....

Last edited by jonnysan; 11-29-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f3/2008-smart-fortwo-smart-car-stupid-transmission-1533/
Posted By For Type Date
Smart Car News & Rumors on Smart Car Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback 07-13-2008 07:02 AM