User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rent A Smart in Europe

Provence by Car

Discover the sensory delights of the Provençal countryside in a sporty Smart Car.

1 of 4 photos >

An eco-friendly Smart Car amid one of Provence's lovely lavender fields

The medieval village of Fayence

The farmers market in Fayence is a must-do.

One of Provence's famed vineyards

Four Seasons Resort Provence at Terre Blanche, found hidden in the hills of Provence—close to the glamour of the Cote d'Azur.

Related Articles

I’d been a passenger in a Smart Car before but had always wanted to drive one. So here was my chance. Zipping through the French countryside, a vineyard on my left, a hilltop village way up on the right. The top down, warm sun shining, rosemary-scented wind blowing past. Had I driven straight into a postcard of Provence?

Actually, I’d signed up for the “Drive Smart and Relax” package, available April–October 2010 at Four Seasons Resort Provence at Terre Blanche. They’d delivered my Smart Car convertible (you can also get a Ford Fiesta or a Seat Ibiza) directly to the Resort, complete with itineraries pre-programmed into the GPS. A two-minute lesson (the controls of a Smart Car take some explanation) and I was off. Destination: a restaurant I knew in the town of Mons, several kilometres away.

On the way, I stopped by the farmers market in Fayence, which had an olive oil tasting in progress, and I bought some rosé there. The drive itself was more scenic than I remembered; carved into the hilly limestone terrain, the road twists and turns past a Roman aqueduct and along a sheer cliff face past olive groves and sheep. In tiny medieval Mons, perched on a mountaintop, the restaurant was open and expecting me.

When you visit this area of Provence, chances are you’ll want a car for part of your visit, whether to explore the farmers market in Fayence or the scene in Antibes or Monte Carlo. Or the road may be your destination. Whatever—this is the way to go.
John Hamilton is a writer and consultant based in Singapore.

Photography courtesy Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Jupiter Images

SharePrint
Most Read Articles

Browse By Destination

Inspiration, recommendation and local insight
World Region: Select All Americas Asia/Pacific Europe Middle East & Africa Country: Select All Argentina Australia Canada China Costa Rica Czech Republic Egypt France French Polynesia Hungary India Indonesia Ireland Italy Japan Jordan Lebanon Malaysia Maldives Mauritius Mexico Portugal Qatar Saudi Arabia Seychelles Singapore Switzerland Syria Taiwan Thailand Turkey United Kingdom United States Uruguay West Indies Destination: Select All Alexandria Amman Atlanta Austin Aviara, North San Diego Bali Bangkok Beirut Bora Bora Boston Budapest Buenos Aires Cairo Carmelo Chiang Mai Chicago Costa Rica Dallas Damascus Doha Dublin Florence Geneva Global Golden Triangle Hampshire Hangzhou Hawaii, Hualalai Hawaii, Lana'i Hawaii, Maui Hong Kong Houston Istanbul Jackson Hole Jakarta Koh Samui Langkawi Las Vegas Lisbon London Los Angeles Macau Maldives Mauritius Mexico, D.F. Miami Milan Mumbai Nevis New York Palm Beach Palo Alto, Silicon Valley Paris Philadelphia Prague Provence Punta Mita Riyadh San Francisco Santa Barbara Scottsdale Seattle Seychelles Shanghai Sharm El Sheikh Singapore St. Louis Sydney Taipei Tokyo Toronto Vancouver Washington, DC Westlake Village Whistler

Advertise with us
Sign-up for the monthly newsletter

Receive timely offers and the latest news.
privacy policy

Find a hotel or resort
Purchase a gift card
Rates and reservations Contact us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Closed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hopefully the next Space-A hop into NavSta Rota (SP) will include smarts at the AMC car rental counter.

Last edited by Old smart; 02-26-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: missing word
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:06 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is where I am from... :-)

Did you try local rosés?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
By the way, I am going back this summer for a family visit... Do you know how much it would cost to rent a Smart?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode