Smart Fortwo Diesel on eBay - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What about special constructed vehicles. How is it that I can buy a car new right now, that doesn't meet any of the federal emmissions laws??? It is registered under specialty builit, or special construction in Iowa.

These cars seem to be given an exemption, why couldn't a person buy a car like this and have it fall under the same exemptions.

Maybe they had bought the body with no drivetrain??? THIS IS NOT a vehicle by federal law for the purposes of meeting emissions. So then they get it here and install a drivetrain, then they register as a specially constructed vehicle. This car is completely legal if you did it this way. If you bought it from someone else with reciepts showing this, then you are perfectly legal also....there are a 100 ways to have a car without meeting the emissions laws, just don't do anything to intentionally get around emissions laws or they will nail you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:52 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The eBay listing pictures show the manufacturer tag clearly stating that it is a Canadian car.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 AM

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

Here is the site and information people are always talking about in regards to EPA.

Could a person buy a kit? Sure you just can't buy a car whole and intentionally disassemble it to get around the rules....the problem is you can claim the car as a kit, and if you have the supporting documents, no one is going to be able to go backwards and prove it wasn't.

It's like removing an OEM catalytic converter. You can't by law, but if it is missing you can replace it with an aftermarket unit. So in reality, they can really only enforce this rule, if they actually catch you removing it.....not very likely.

If the Car was ever registered in Canada as what it is, you can't go back, it's too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM

I just looked at all of the photo's. That car is illegally registered. Note they are giving you a Florida Title to transfer ownership. That is not the same as guarantee that you will be able to transfer ownership. It would never make it through in Iowa.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 AM

All states accept titles from all other states as proof of ownership. They go under the assumption that the the first state to title the car accepted whatever import proceedure or documentation was presented to it. This goes back to the authority to issue the first title.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Mostly Harmless
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartie yank View Post
All states accept titles from all other states as proof of ownership. They go under the assumption that the the first state to title the car accepted whatever import proceedure or documentation was presented to it. This goes back to the authority to issue the first title.
That is certainly not the case in Colorado. To title an out of state vehicle here you must have a law enforcement officer do a VIN inspection on the car first, and you then present that form with your title paperwork. You also have to have a formal VIN search from both Colorado and the state of origin (to demonstrate that the title is not bogus nor the car stolen).

I have gone through this process three times, and the State Troopers who did mine were very well versed in VINs and certifications.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM

I have been through at least 20 VIN inspections and that is what they inspect. They verify that the paperwork matches the vehicle and that the vehicle is clear, no leans and not stolen. Lein holders like to know when their security leaves the state. The pollution and safety inspections are the ones that cause problems.

I spent 2 hours with a VIN inspection on my Bentley because it is only 6 characters long. He was convinced there had to be the 14 character number somewere on the car. Funny, he never did find it but I did get my title. Older Harley Davidsons are also fun, the number is only on one part of the engine case and not on the frame.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 AM

Iowa uses a recognized VIN number system. It would not recognize this VIN number because it isn't a US VIN number. They don't give a rats ass if it was titled by another state or not.

I called with the VIN number, they said, it was not recognized by the system....in Iowa that is code for "good luck", your starting from square one. In fact you would need a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My concern is that there is no mention that I can see in the listing addressing this issue. Someone should make eBay aware of this as I'm sure they would not allow an illegal transaction which could expose them for liability.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 AM

The fact that he has it registered illegally doesn't make it an illegal transaction. He is being very careful of the wording. This person has been around the block a few times. They are saying "what you get" not saying if it will be registerable. Your buying the car as represented and if you can't register it later, that is your own fault.

Ebay could care less. You can sell all sorts of vehicles that aren't legal to register, they make no warranty on this issue. You have what you need to prove ownership, that is not the same as having what you need to register the car. Believe me, I have been around and around on this issue with Ebay. I once bought a 4 wheeler and that person gave me a bill of sale, as they didn't have a title for such vehicles in TN. Got back to Iowa, and they said "you need a title in Iowa". I explained it to them and they said, that is your problem not ours. I ended up having to get Yamaha send me a copy of the "Certificate of Origin". It cost me money to do this, but the official answer was, not our problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode