Smart fortwo is a real car with real-car faults - San Mateo Daily Journal 12/28/2007 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart fortwo is a real car with real-car faults - San Mateo Daily Journal 12/28/2007

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articl...w.php?id=85195

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Mateo Daily Journal

The parking lot attendant took one look at the diminutive Smart fortwo car I was driving and congratulated me on having a “nice roller skate.”

A neighbor nicknamed the fortwo “the pod” because of its tall, round shape; more than a half dozen people asked where the plug is for this new car.

They assumed the smallest and lightest-weight new car in America — measuring just 8.83 feet long from bumper to bumper, or 3.3 feet shorter than a Mini Cooper hatchback — is a little electric-powered vehicle.

But they’re wrong.
It gets worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Yep, that's pretty brutal.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 PM

I think men might bear the brunt of the jokes because they're driving something that is described as "cute."...I'm already waiting for the first one to tell me that the golf course is three blocks that way...which it is. Ya know, that's ok with me.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonlee View Post
I think men might bear the brunt of the jokes because they're driving something that is described as "cute."
My biggest problem when driving the smart last year cross country was rest stops when I really didn't have time to answer questions! I really had to stop, and it wasn't to pump gas after driving for a few hours.

I got them all, too. "Is that electric?" while filling up with gas. "Can you go on the freeway?" at a freeway rest stop.

You will be the center of attention both in and outside your car for months! Get used to it. I suggest carrying a lot of brochures and your salesman's business card.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 05:56 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, she is a "critic" and entitled to her opinion. Or does she have an agenda? "Ann Job" sounds like a you know what nom de plume!

;)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Smartie
SCOA Club

And with that, Carnut....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
OK, she is a "critic" and entitled to her opinion. Or does she have an agenda? "Ann Job" sounds like a you know what nom de plume!

;)
I didn't think there was a San Mateo County in Michigan???
Sounds like that's where the critique came from.....Michigan

Takes all kinds....;)
As a critic, she should know NOT to believe everything she reads...especially the gas mileage numbers. I personally think the guy that drove the test to determine the mileage on the Smart MUST have had steel toed, size 14 shoes and a right foot that would uncontrollably twitch once every few minutes....

Last edited by jonnysan; 12-29-2007 at 07:21 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Job
And in the test car, the plastic interior trim that was supposed to be attached to the rear tailgate would separate from the metal tailgate every time I opened it.
That's because she kept reaching and and pulling the center handle that releases the inside cover for the tailgate that holds the bars in the cabrio or hidden storage in all others. You have to release the two latches on the left and right sides to lower the tailgate.

Common problem, too bad she didn't investigate to see why she was doing that.

Also, she is an AP automobile reporter, based in Detroit. Story just appeared in the San Mateo paper.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 PM
SCOA Club

nothing really new here.

in fact, she really didn't even touch on some more significant problems and issues, as mentioned in a late post in the best review thread.

also, while you may think there is all this big interest in the car, don't buy it for that reason. I stayed around the smart cars until closing at the july event.

with about an hour to go to closing, around 6 pm or so, still broad daylight (sunset later near 9 pm) , everyone had pretty well gone home, the cars appeared near deserted. smart cars still there, now nearly alone, waiting for someone to have an interest in driving them.

it was erie in a way. during the peak mid day hours, people casually milling around, to see what it was. it was as though, they saw what it was, said ok, then, bye-bye.

it makes one wonder, if you really ant to spend nearly $30k pretax earnings, for a car, you can see on the lot for a few hours, see on the road here and there as it hits the streets, then, one gets their fill, and then they go back to the day to day lives.

and, if ones present car is still in satisfactory condition, working ok, one gets the new look visual pleasure around introduction, while someone else pays to show it to you, and your $30k pretax earnings money stays in the bank growing.

there just seems so many issues with the car, and, its just a tiny car, but selling at a big near $30k pretax earnings price. the small size of the smart, seems like it would be more appropriately priced at just under $10k after tax dollars.

but at the same time, all the other cars, are priced the same, or a lot more. although, they all are also bigger cars.

and the other thing i noticed, by hanging around all day at the event (making sure to pick the best colors to my eye), toward the end of the day, the smart cars really started to look small. very small. near tiny. with the question keep coming to mind, "are you sure you want to do this?"

the local dealership, a split off attachment to a mercedes dealer, says smart will likely open sometime during the second week of january, and should hopefully also have a smart to view then.

that should prove important, to see if its a final go, or not.

to sit in the car again, look over everything, take another real test drive, this time possibly including the highway, to see, if it will be a car that will give long term satisfaction, or may be just a quick new fad, that tends to fade over a year or so.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 AM

This is a riot!

San Mateo County borders the city and county of San Francisco. It's southern portion borders the beginning of Silicon Valley. Historically, it is fairly conservative. Demographically, portions of it are very affluent but it is not as affluent as a whole as Santa Clara County to its south.

When I grew up on the peninsula, the San Mateo Times was something you might not admit to subscribing to. My take is that the only people taking the SM Journal seriously are those who are working or perhaps donating their time.

You just gotta know that I could prattle off and entertain myself with a bunch of remarks, but I don't think this one needs to be taken too seriously. I'd love to know what "lengthy" bridge she is referring to. I'm guessing it is not the San Mateo or Dumbarton Bridges, not the Bay Bridge or the Golden Gate. It's probably the Eugene Duran Memorial Bridge which spans two hills for Highway 280 ... and most vehicles shorter than an S class are going to have a rhythym.

Thanks for the post and chuckle.

Last edited by 08-4-2; 12-30-2007 at 03:10 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Cash View Post
it makes one wonder, if you really ant to spend nearly $30k pretax earnings, for a car, you can see on the lot for a few hours, see on the road here and there as it hits the streets, then, one gets their fill, and then they go back to the day to day lives.

and, if ones present car is still in satisfactory condition, working ok, one gets the new look visual pleasure around introduction, while someone else pays to show it to you, and your $30k pretax earnings money stays in the bank growing.

there just seems so many issues with the car, and, its just a tiny car, but selling at a big near $30k pretax earnings price. the small size of the smart, seems like it would be more appropriately priced at just under $10k after tax dollars.
I'm not sure I understand your $30K scenario. The Smart looks like it would come in under $20K, tax and license out the door, for a Cabrio with every option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode