Smart fortwo is a real car with real-car faults - San Mateo Daily Journal 12/28/2007 - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:04 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
By pretax, Cash is saying you need to earn 30K to net out the cost of a smart fully loaded.

;)

He has still ignored requests for him to tell us what he configured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The smart is the kind of car not everyone will like- I think we just have to accept that fact! Many of my friends have simply told me that they'd rather not ride in it as they would feel unsafe - so be it. But I want one and I will get because I want it- not because I seek everyone's approval.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Smartie
SCOA Club

Ahah....thanks for that tidbit of info, 8-4-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-4-2 View Post
This is a riot!

San Mateo County borders the city and county of San Francisco. It's southern portion borders the beginning of Silicon Valley. Historically, it is fairly conservative. Demographically, portions of it are very affluent but it is not as affluent as a whole as Santa Clara County to its south.

When I grew up on the peninsula, the San Mateo Times was something you might not admit to subscribing to. My take is that the only people taking the SM Journal seriously are those who are working or perhaps donating their time.

You just gotta know that I could prattle off and entertain myself with a bunch of remarks, but I don't think this one needs to be taken too seriously. I'd love to know what "lengthy" bridge she is referring to. I'm guessing it is not the San Mateo or Dumbarton Bridges, not the Bay Bridge or the Golden Gate. It's probably the Eugene Duran Memorial Bridge which spans two hills for Highway 280 ... and most vehicles shorter than an S class are going to have a rhythym.

Thanks for the post and chuckle.
I know the rhythym of which you speak and have noticed it on other bridges as you go over them. The peaks and valleys of the bridge roadway sagging slightly was probably exacerbated by the Smarts very short wheelbase whereas vehicles with longer wheelbases would not be so noticeable.....good point.

Another good point was Dickey's insofar as the storage compartment. I didn't realize that it had latches and it makes sense that when the latches are released, the compartment cover opens...and she thought it was the panel falling off!!??? :eek:
Good thing she doesn't work for Consumer Reports!!!!! LOLOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 AM
smart happens here!
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-4-2 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your $30K scenario. The Smart looks like it would come in under $20K, tax and license out the door, for a Cabrio with every option.

yeah that, and the discussion of pre- and after tax dollars!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysan View Post
Another good point was Dickey's insofar as the storage compartment. I didn't realize that it had latches and it makes sense that when the latches are released, the compartment cover opens...and she thought it was the panel falling off!!??? :eek:
Good thing she doesn't work for Consumer Reports!!!!! LOLOL
I encountered this when the smart tour came to San Jose. When I went to open the tailgate, I looked for a handle in the center of the tailgate (the usual location), not finding one on the outside, I reached in and found one inside. Surprisingly, the storage compartment cover came off. I learned later that the latches for the tailgate are at either side, both need to be undone to lower the tailgate. This may be an ergonomics problem with our favorite car; we're used to cars having such handles in the center. Plus, how does it work when one arm is full? Can the tailgate be opened with one hand?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
OK, she is a "critic" and entitled to her opinion. Or does she have an agenda? "Ann Job" sounds like a you know what nom de plume!

;)
Actually, she's not a critic. I'm very surprised at the tone of this article coming from her. Here's a bio:

Award-winning journalist, Ann Job, was the first female national auto writer for The Associated Press and among the first women to cover the Detroit auto beat in the early '80s. She worked as an auto writer at The Detroit News, auto editor at the Detroit Free Press and executive business editor at The Detroit News. She also has written freelance stories for Car & Driver, AutoWeek, Cosmo and a host of newspapers. Ann won a UPI spot news reporting award for her coverage of GM's then-new Saturn auto company in '85. She also won the Ken W. Purdy Award in 1987 for excellence in auto journalism for her work on an investigative series about sudden acceleration. She served as Consumer Editor at MSN's Carpoint website and is currently the AP's test driver of new vehicles.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:17 PM

wonder how she would compare a Taurus to a 5-series?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
I encountered this when the smart tour came to San Jose. When I went to open the tailgate, I looked for a handle in the center of the tailgate (the usual location), not finding one on the outside, I reached in and found one inside. Surprisingly, the storage compartment cover came off. I learned later that the latches for the tailgate are at either side, both need to be undone to lower the tailgate. This may be an ergonomics problem with our favorite car; we're used to cars having such handles in the center. Plus, how does it work when one arm is full? Can the tailgate be opened with one hand?
Sure, but one latch at a time. It takes getting used to, I'm afraid. At least the window goes up with just a push of the remote control.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:42 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdickey View Post
Sure, but one latch at a time. It takes getting used to, I'm afraid. At least the window goes up with just a push of the remote control.
Unless of course, you have Pure. ;)
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
Unless of course, you have Pure. ;)
The Smart USA website indicates that the rear window does in fact have a remote release even on the Pure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode