45 minutes to becoming a Cruise Control LED installation expert - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tackled this over the weekend... only one hickup!! once I had hooked everything up it wasn't working... the cruise itself worked but not the LED... turns out the connector came loose while I was splicing the main wiring!!! A little tape to make sure it didn't come apart and it works great!!!

Thanks John!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm happy to hear the successes and the wide opinion on the brightness and color match for both the blue and green versions.

While I've shipped several "variable" colors, I don't know anyone who has tuned to a custom color (except the yellowish green I did for Suze in the video). Since those variable items are a little tough to tune (tiny phillips screwdriver without a pointy end is needed) and been disturbing to assemble at times, I'm glad to be shipping the green-only instead.

And for those who donated a few dollars more than the $20 suggestion, many additional thanks; every little bit helps.

- John
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Garage
This was great service by John - THANK YOU!!

I too installed mine this past weekend. One problem, and it was me. I installed the whole thing but had forgot to put it in the correct cruise control slot - I put it in the one directly above it.

Like John had said, almost all tools are included to do this - to include a small torx wrench.

MY CRUISE IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER NOW! I also got the variable and went through the variations of colors finally setting on green - it matches my interior.

EMERALD COAST SMARTIES! - if you want to check this out, I'll have it at the next meet and will only be charging $1 a ride to demonstrate the cruise and LED. (you know I'm kidding!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I enjoyed including the battery hooked up with the wiring so the LED could be checked all along the way with the installation (plus who doesn't need an extra 9V battery laying around?). Using the twist-tie to affix the wire to the existing wiring harness outside the cluster should also keep the connectors from tugging loose, even at the "last point" where the battery is snipped loose, leaving the cruise control LED dark as the wires are trimmed for length and tapped in to the cruise control wires.

I'm happy there have been no issues beyond minor inconveniences. I think my dropping a screw into my own steering column cowl was the worst trouble reported so far; thank goodness I had a magnet with a hole that fit on the end of the aluminum wire!

Another reminder suggested by my Smart Center service guru: make sure you don't turn your car on when the instrument cluster is disconnected. Bad things might result! I don't know what, just don't go there.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
SCOA Club

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Just got around to looking at this thread. You guys are welcome. John, I have been so busy lately, I forgot the mpg2. Do you still need a file to send out to customers on CD? Let me know.

If you guys need any video work, let me know.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Jedi (video) master - I think the audio is still mixed up in the two sized versions I've linked to (between the tap completely installed and the reassembly section). While I pointed out the raw .avi it came from (over 300MB file!) I don't have feedback on whether the original videos streamed well or not for most folks. The later attempt (visible in the same directory) was a problem for my ancient PC to stream so I didn't suggest that. The CD thought doesn't flow too well because it really wouldn't fit in the box.

So for those who have perused: Is the video sufficient despite the fun little bit of audio for those who have watched it? No trouble with skippy playback because it's an mp4?

Jediknight36 did a tremendous job of putting some polish on the raw video and compressing it to something a bit more bandwidth friendly. Kudos!
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 AM
SCOA Club

Garage
I didnt have an issue with the video that I sent, and I watched the whole thing. If there is an issue with the same part, then I have a fix. Something similar happened to us at work.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Video streaming for me was fine with both versions but the audio is still bad on both in the one section about tapping into the wires on the stalk.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Ok, I think I know what it is. John, the last file I sent you was working fine here. The reason it skips is a rendering issue, which I fixed. I think you may still be streaming the old file somehow. This weekend, I will send you the last export again, as a different file name.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_H View Post
So for those who have perused: Is the video sufficient despite the fun little bit of audio for those who have watched it? No trouble with skippy playback because it's an mp4?
Nope; no trouble aside from the audio on the section about tapping into the cruise wires. Aside from that, the only niggling little thing I spotted was a couple of typos in a couple of the section header screens. FWIW, I downloaded the larger-format video and play it as a native Quicktime file on my MacBook Pro's hard drive with no hiccups at all. In general, it's a nicely done piece of work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode