Blinking D/N/R & Wrench But Runs Fine (!?) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blinking D/N/R & Wrench But Runs Fine (!?)

Hi, everyone! Newbie here. Purchased my 2010 Passion about 2 months ago and am positively loving it!!! It came from a used car lot that was definitely no dealer of any sort...in fact the guy didn't even know the engine was in the rear! I had done quite a lot of research beforehand and had sniffed this car out at this lot roughly an hour away from my house. Anyhow...I bought it with this blinking problem. At first I didn't know there was a problem...had read about the blinking wrench being a maintenance reminder...and knew the oil had been changed. The blinking gear indicator, however, I did not know was NOT normal 'til later. I successfully reset the wrench (the days past due counter went to zero & the wrench stopped blinking...until I restarted the car, ugh!) I've read a lot about limp mode and all that. This car drives completely fine. It doesn't skip gears, it goes into reverse fine, I have no clue why it could be blinking when in gear (auto or manual, doesn't make a difference, still blinks.)

Smart dealer is 3 hours away. I called and the service guy I spoke with just told me he didn't know but I should bring it in because there may be a problem that hasn't yet shown up while driving. I'm not sure if that may be true or not.

We also pulled the battery cables for a good hour. All that did was kill the infamous Fuse 12...which was a whole 2 day conundrum I had to figure out!

I am clueless. I have researched every single nook & cranny of the internet for this distinct problem, with no joy. Help! The blinky-blinky I can ignore fairly well, but am afraid there might be a true problem? (though the longer the car runs fine I am doubting it)

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA!

The dealer isn't wrong - there's an issue of some sort. You can take the car to an auto parts store and have them check for any OBD codes; that MAY give an indication of the problem. Let us know what you find.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
When the service reminder is properly reset the wrenches will switch from one wrench to two wrenches or vice versa. The count down will show that it has been reset to 10k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soon after we bought it (and discovered the blinking isn't normal) I took it to Advanced Auto & had them scan it. No code found. I also recently purchased a ScanGauge and that also has found no codes, stored or otherwise. I assume it would be a code that only MB Star System can detect...if there is one in there to be seen (which means it's transmission related, I gather?)

So you don't think it's just a weird glitchy thing? (hoping!)

I am VERY pregnant (due in less than 5 weeks) so I'm really not up to a 3 hour trip by car to...anywhere. lol I previously tried to talk my husband into making the trip with me (like, weeks ago) but as you can see, was unsuccessful.

Wouldn't some impending mystery problem have already manifested itself in some way? As you can tell, I'm really doing some major wishful thinking here. Like I said, every tiny thing that I've observed the car doing has panned out to be a "SmartCarQuirk" (like the ABS check thump & the lolligag shifting in auto mode, to name 2!)

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
The blinking wrench is normal. The blinking gear position indication (D/N/R) isn't, although I've got no idea what would cause it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Please try this before you spend money and time at dealer.

Please do a search on this forum. I had a 2010 Passion that I purchased used and I also had the wrenches and flashing gear selections. There is a procedure to do a reset for the transmission. It only involved taking the battery connections off for thirty minutes and then I believe re-connecting the battery and putting the gear shift lever through all the gears and the wrenches will disappear and the gear selections will stop blinking. Just follow the procedures and it could solve your problem too. I ran across a post on the forum and followed the advice for the reset and my car was running fine before the reset and is still running fine with nothing blinking. It saved me a trip to the dealership for what seemed to have been such an easy solution.

-smarTony
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Found the thread to help you.

Sorry for the re-post. But I found the thread that I had used to fix the issue. I'm not claiming to be the originator. I'm just trying to pass along the info to help you. Good Luck.

"I've seen this before. I'll bet that they'll do a forced re-train on the transmission. The way to force it is by leaving it in neutral and disconnecting the battery for about 30 mins. When it comes back up it will show 3-bars on the display. From there you shift from park, down to drive, and back again, slowly. The transmission will grind a bit, and eventually you'll get a park indicator."

Thanks,

-Tony
NCC1701 likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,214 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
The answer is nobody can tell you wherein the problem lies. If the gear indicator is blinking then one of the control units is not happy, and it is probably the transmission control module. The system needs to be scanned with a scan tool that is capable of scanning multiple systems on European vehicles. Generic scan tools or code readers like the parts stores have will not do it. Find a local shop that specialized in Mercedes and see if they can scan the car. Until that is done all else is pointless speculation. Fault codes and live data will give a direction in which to proceed.

Used vehicles from no-name used car operations are always an adventure.
jwight likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well this just happened to me on my 2013 pure that bought new. 27600 miles. The car does seem to drive fine.i drove 25 miles home. Turned it off and turned it back on again in my driveway and now the check engine light is on.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Time to read the code and see what the concern is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode