Freaky Fuel Gauge - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Freaky Fuel Gauge

I'm a week-and-a-half short of having had my smart for a year, with just about 9,000 miles driven and somewhere around 40 trips to various gas stations, so I've gotten a pretty good feel for the accuracy (or lack of) regarding the fuel gauge.

For the most part, however, it's been pretty predictable. I reset my trip meter at each fill-up, and the number of miles travelled between the time each tick of the gauge corresponded more or less to the rough mpg calculated at the next fill. Most of my driving's in-city, so the mpg isn't stellar, but it's been in the low 30s, and that's roughly how many miles the car travelled between ticks of the fuel gauge. Usually, the first tick had to be discounted -- it was most often too high -- but the others were reliable.

But the last two fills have been freaky, to say the least. On a fill after a day-long road trip, the ticks started disappearing after less than 25 miles. Then they slowed way down and the last couple of ticks lasted a long, long time. On the next fill, I ended up with a calculated mpg that was actually a little higher than usual.

Now, on that fill, the first tick disappeared after 15 miles. The second's gone after less than 35. That's never happened before.

It's definitely going in on my list of things for my one-year/10,000 mile checkup, but has anyone else had their fuel gauge suddenly start acting strangely after months of reliable service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let us know what they find Darrel!! Many members have reported the fuel gauge 'freakieness' and have had the dealer fix it. ~8500 on mine, still haven't...well, better not push my luck! Great seeing you at Multnomah Falls.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Mine is new ( just turned 1000mile ) but on the first fill the tank showed 7/8 full for 20 mile then went to full ( all bars) for 20 mile. The 2nd tank was normal Full down to empty. This last tank did the 7/8 for 50mile then Full for 20 then down like normal. I think it is a bubble that needs to burp but can't until some fuel is used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gremlin

Yep, there is something weird going on with the fuel readings. I trust only the trip mileage. The bars are all over the place, and the tank is so small (8 gal) that error is magnified. There are other posts on this subject. Your remedy may be a flash, or a pencil and paper
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
I do trust it on the bottom end. it is spot on at the bottom of the tank. The top is off a bit. My van was like that though. first half of tank went in 50 mile the 2nd half went for 250 mile. Never thought a thing about it. I do not think there are many fuel gages that are linear to a tank of gas. They should be treated as estimates.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
That sounds weird Darrel - though I have heard of faulty sending units.

I have a problem with my newer Smart reading 7/8 but it is always dead-on once I get to 6/8 bars and below. Almost always I can judge around 45 miles on a bar, give or take a few miles. BTW - I have been averaging around 2-3mpg's better since I got the Scangauge installed. - Thanks Darrel.

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM

On mine the first bar is a little slower than the rest. In other news I got 51 MPG last tank(mostly highway) and 47 the tank before(50/50 highway/city)! I thought that was pretty good.

Last edited by SmartKing; 04-02-2009 at 01:39 PM.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Red Roller Skate
SCOA Club

I have same issue today. I filled up my tank today when the 1 gallon indicator turned on so I theoretically should have filled with 7.72 gallon or less. I got supposedly 7.88 gallons in tank but have 7/8 of a tank on gauge. I got some sad news though my local gas station is running a scam with their pumps. I have been loyal to them and getting my gas at this one mom and pop for years. The only station I have filled up at that resulted in me getting 7/8 tank after filling up with appropriate amount of gas was them. It doesn't matter what one their pumps I used and pump 7.72 gallon and doesn't go to full so it's not just a pump thing. I go to any other station and fill up with that much gas and my gauge is full. I find it mightly suspicous that every one of their pumps appears to be reading more gas going out than true. I don't know how closely anyone else has watched their stations like I have mine. I can't start accurately tracking my MPG until I fill up with a full tank with accurate fill. I've used many stations over the month I've had this car and only theirs gives me 7/8 on any of their pumps. I am filling car up once the 1 gallon indicator comes on everytime.

Last edited by fpage77; 04-02-2009 at 02:35 PM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
SCOA Club

Garage
Their pump might put More air into the gas. causing the bubble I mentioned earlier.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Red Roller Skate
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartDigger View Post
Their pump might put More air into the gas. causing the bubble I mentioned earlier.
Well I just went to the BP (not the same station as earlier) and slow pumped till pump turned itself off and got 63¢ in the tank. I went back and the car still shows 7/8 so maybe it wasn't the other station. I'll top the car off at the BP station next my dealer and have them reset the gas gauge tomorrow when I get DRL added.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode