User Tag List

83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:30 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Did you swap coils yet? Swap and see if the misfire occurs in a different cylinder, and if cylinder 3 comes back to life. Don't give up yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,643 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I feel silly asking this, but how does one swap the coils in a smart?

I mean, I'm still going to do some looking around in the engine this weekend...but I'm still not very optimistic. The engine got so hot on that day that my handbrake handle could've caused skin burns.

Edit: Did some research, I did not know the coils were in those big long sticks! Shoot, I can knock out two birds with one screwdriver!

Last edited by Miss Mercedes; 10-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #43 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:21 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonspinnazz View Post
I feel silly asking this, but how does one swap the coils in a smart?

I mean, I'm still going to do some looking around in the engine this weekend...but I'm still not very optimistic. The engine got so hot on that day that my handbrake handle could've caused skin burns.

Edit: Did some research, I did not know the coils were in those big long sticks! Shoot, I can knock out two birds with one screwdriver!
If there was ever a time to learn, now is that time... Do you have any friends who are a little mechanically inclined? That's what got me started. A couple friends show you a few basic things, then you take it from there and expand your horizons...

Swapping the coils rates about a 2 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. I believe you'll need a 3/4" ratchet, 10mm socket, and a mini extension.
Miss Mercedes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If there's white smoke coming out of the exhaust in a constant manner after warmup you have indeed killed the head gasket, or warped the head. The stumble could well be swapping compression between two cylinders due to the head gasket breech. A compression test will tell all. Insofar as coils go, a misfire is more likely due to a fouled plug, again a result of the head gasket. Good luck.
post #45 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I know how to a many things under the boot. I installed my CAI, installed my exhaust way back in the day, do all my own oil changes, sparky plugs, electrical wiring, motor mounts, brake pads, rotors, etc etc...but I've always been so hesitant to do anything that requires removing the engine. I don't trust myself with those kinda things!

That said, I do have a mechanically inclined friend that can help me with the hardcore stuff. That said, I don't think I'll get to the hardcore stuff. The tests I perform this weekend will likely determine my fate.
post #46 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Well, I know how to a many things under the boot. I installed my CAI, installed my exhaust way back in the day, do all my own oil changes, sparky plugs, electrical wiring, motor mounts, brake pads, rotors, etc etc...but I've always been so hesitant to do anything that requires removing the engine. I don't trust myself with those kinda things!

That said, I do have a mechanically inclined friend that can help me with the hardcore stuff. That said, I don't think I'll get to the hardcore stuff. The tests I perform this weekend will likely determine my fate.
You removed your ignition coils to change spark plugs. You already know how to do it. Did you forget the names of the parts or something??
post #47 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm like that, I do things and I remember how to do them, but you better not ask me the name of those parts! Especially since I followed the Evilution guide, which inevitably said to take the coils off the plugs.

Anyway, an update! When I started up the car after work, there was so much white smoke, you'd think it was a Willie Nelson concert. At some point it got so bad that it couldn't produce enough power to exceed 10mph...and just shot out both the P0300 code and the P0303 code at the same time.

Tomorrow I do my tests!!
post #48 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Garage
Sadly, I believe that you have already completed your testing and based on your observations and description of the symptoms you are experiencing, the results should be obvious. Why waste more time at this juncture. If I were you, I would be looking for a used engine or a good used smart car. Better yet, if you can swing a 453, now would be the time to consider something like this.
post #49 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
I know of a white 453 for sale... ;)
post #50 of 147 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
I'm like that, I do things and I remember how to do them, but you better not ask me the name of those parts! Especially since I followed the Evilution guide, which inevitably said to take the coils off the plugs.

Anyway, an update! When I started up the car after work, there was so much white smoke, you'd think it was a Willie Nelson concert. At some point it got so bad that it couldn't produce enough power to exceed 10mph...and just shot out both the P0300 code and the P0303 code at the same time.

Tomorrow I do my tests!!
At this point, just pull the dipstick and don't be surprised if it looks like a chocolate milkshake with ranch salad dressing mixed in there.

Prepare to borrow a car from your parents as temporary transportation until you decide if you're going to replace the engine or buy a new car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode