User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Magnetic oil drain plug and oil filter magnets?

I received an email from a respected vendor who's offering Dimple brand magnetic oil drain plugs and Dimple brand magnets that you put on your oil filter. Both items are reusable and are supposed to trap metal particles that would otherwise escape the filter. When you change the oil, you're supposed to wipe these fragments off the plug and re-install it. The magnets that go on the outside of the filter are supposed to trap fragments against the filter case. Again, after you change the filter, you put the magnets on the new filter you're installing.
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of whether these actually work or is it just wishful thinking and good marketing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Are you expecting steel shavings or aluminum.

What is the engine made of?

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
That's essentially my question. What's going to wear, pieces of aluminum or pieces of steel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM

Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,013 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
...they do the job that they were intended for...big engines have the magnetic plug wired to a light to let you know that there's something going on..the manufacturer calls them "chip" light...we call them "chunk" light for a reason...

...whats' the crank made out off?

jetfuel
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,819 Times in 3,530 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Unless that drain plug has the screen for the oil pickup on it, I wouldn't use it.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Screens? We don't need no stinkin' screens...

Well at least with the Dimple you don't get one.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Thank you jwight, I've been meaning to ask that question too. What is the function of the screen on the oil plug/pickup? There's already a filter in the system, so is it redundant filtration protection or something else?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the pre-filter for the engine oil pump pickup. Take a look at the cutaways on media.daimler.com, and all around this site.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Garage
Thanks, a pre-filter was all I could make of it too. So, does that mean that if we're concerned about ferrous metal filings, as in Jetfuel's crankshaft example, does the magnetic drain plug serve this purpose and make the screen redundant and unnecessary?

Last edited by mvaldes; 06-30-2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: clarify, I hope
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I may.

The screen is aparantly exactly as stated... a pre-filter. I think it is logical that it ONLY does its job at two specific times in the life of your engine. First, when the engine is started for the very first time where there may be filings in the sump that hasn't had a chance to go through the (much finer) oil filter. Second, the instant your engine blows up and you have bigger problems to worry about.

For the 200,000+ miles in between... I can't see how such a course filter would do anything at all.

Now, do the magnets? According to the manufacturer they absolutely do. I obviously can't personally back that claim as I have no data either way. I think logic would say it helps and certainly couldn't hurt.

To answer the Q about the screen directly: No, it does not come with a screen. Yes, your original screen can be re-fitted onto the magnet. However... the longer thread of the replacement plug makes it so it won't fit. So you'd either have to use some washers to make up the gap (not sure how well that would work) or you'd have to carefully trim the screen to account for the difference.

However I certainly didn't bother in my car. And when I had mine installed, it was by the dealership and they raised no question at all. There was no discussion about the screen or concern in the slightest. That was the first time I knew about the screen... when they handed my original back to me. I asked if that was important, and the service manager shrugged is shoulders and said simply, "not really".

Obviously it is up to the individual to decide. I can't monitor the forums constantly so if someone does come up with a factual determination (ie. some service manager somewhere says not to do it) then please, I'd appreciate if someone can give me a headsup. It is a new product at my store and it seemed like a good, or at least harmless, thing to try and by all logic it should help prolong your engine's life.

- Steven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode