Windshield Reservoir Leaking (DIY fix) - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Did you ever get the washer tank removed? I had a bad pump so I purchased a replacement. Put it back in the hole filled with liquid and it all leaked out. I noticed the hole where the pump seats into should have a rubber grommet and doesn't. So either I have a crack in the tank or the rubber grommet is missing? I was thinking of putting a bead of silicon under the pump to seat onto the bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgarich View Post
Did you ever get the washer tank removed? I had a bad pump so I purchased a replacement. Put it back in the hole filled with liquid and it all leaked out. I noticed the hole where the pump seats into should have a rubber grommet and doesn't. So either I have a crack in the tank or the rubber grommet is missing? I was thinking of putting a bead of silicon under the pump to seat onto the bottle.

I'd try replacing the rubber grommet, and not use silicon. See if that works....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrt4her View Post
Got a chance this weekend to work on my leaking reservoir. Thought I'd post what I found out in case someone else has a similar problem.

The washer reservoir is indeed removable without having to disassemble the entire front end. There is a nut right behind the wiper plug. Used a small 10mm wrench to work the nut off. I also removed the bolt in front of the wiper motor to be able to move the motor ever so sightly so I could work the reservoir off the bolt.

The other connection point is a little harder to get to. If you pull the washer pump out of the reservoir and look below and to the right of it, there is another nut sticking out. I didn't have a swivel socket, but it looks like if you did you can access the nut from above. For me, I had to remove the bolts that hold the plastic cover on the underside front and stick my arm up with the 10mm wrench. It's tight but easier to get off than back on.

After the nuts are off, push the bottle to the right to disengage it from a plastic stud on the air box and carefully work the bottle out of the opening. It is tight but does come out.

My reservoir had a small crack or hole at the point where the bottle is formed together from the factory. It was at the spot where a hose from the radiator goes across the bottle. Don't know if it was a factory defect or if the heat from the hose caused the bottle to separate.

To repair my crack, I used a 35w soldering iron to gently heat the reservoir plastic and seal the pieces back together. Additionally, I applied a couple layers of plastic from an empty gallon jug of washer fluid and melted and worked the plastic together, welding them to the reservoir.

After the welding, I ran the reservoir bottle under cold water to harden up the patch.

The bottle went back in easier than it did coming out, but I did have to reach up from the bottom to push the small radiator hose up that goes into a groove in the front of the bottle.

After the reservoir bottle is back in, put the nuts back on, push the pump back into the hole in the reservoir bottle, fill with fluid, and don't forget to plug back in the wiper motor plug.

Don
Searching for a video of this real hard... I've gone far too long with now windshield wiper fluid!!!

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
If you have access to the damage cut out an appropriate section of a gallon milk jug, buy the soldering iron real cheap from a place like Harbor Freight or even Walmart. Then just melt the piece (low setting) over the damaged area....

Nice phone! (I have the exact same model!)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
If you have access to the damage cut out an appropriate section of a gallon milk jug, buy the soldering iron real cheap from a place like Harbor Freight or even Walmart. Then just melt the piece (low setting) over the damaged area....

Nice phone! (I have the exact same model!)
I can't see where it's leaking from... Really was hoping to not have to take the bottom panel off...

Haha! Thanks! I love Huawei!

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mine had the leak too and after fiddling for an hour or so I tried something different. I knew my washer pump was no good so I ordered the exact replacement from I think Amazon. It was around 20 bucks. I inserted it and all worked but the bottle needed a rubber gasket. I went to a hardware store and found something that could work. It didn't quite work right away but then I ran a bead of silicone around the gasket, inserted the gasket with the pump inserted into it and that took car of my problem. Originally I tried by doing what the previous .person did with the wiper but had a lot of trouble just disengaging the plug from the wiper motor. I ended up breaking the locking tab but it stays put without that and no leaks.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:28 PM

Awesome instructions!
Now can anyone tell me where to source a washer fluid reservoir for a 2008 Passion?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode