User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fabric sunshade installation

While trying to remove some of the interior trim I made the mistake of removing one side of the sun screen. As you would expect the assembly is under spring tension to assist in re-rolling the fabric. I had not anticipated the fact that the only thing holding it together was the screws holding it to the car. So as soon as one side was down the tensioning thread popped off the spool holding it. It took a couple a couple of beers and some thinking to figure out how to get it put back together and then how to get it back in the car in one piece.
The tensioning thread runs from the spool (1) forward to the front pulley (2) then back to a guide (3) and clips to the spring which sits on a pin (4). If it just fell down from it's mounting after you removed the last screw it won't look like this.

To reassemble:
1: unclip the spring from the pin (4) and remove it from the guide slot (3) and lay it out on the floor ahead of the front pully. Do this for both sides.
2: keeping the shade as straight as possible, wind it around the roller into the fully open position. At this point the tensioning thread will be wound around the spool.
3: pull outward on the socket until it clears the pin on the end of the spool. Pull the winding thread off the spool to the side and put the pin back in the socket. Do this for both sides.
4: take the spring and run the thread through the guide(3) and leave it laying in the slot, don't put it on the pin yet. Do this for both sides.
5: re-tension the shade on the roller & make sure that it is straight. pull the pin from the socket again and run the tensioning thread around the back of the spool from bottom to top. It should be resting on the thick part of the spool. It will want to drop down between the pin and the socket or over the top onto the roller. You may have to go back and adjust this if it moves during the rest of the process. Do this for both sides.
6: make sure the thread runs forward & over the front pulley. It will probably be to one side of the pulley instead of on it. Its easiest to use a #20 torx to remove the pully & center the thread. You may have to repeat this too as you finish adjusting. Do this for both sides. The picture below shows the thread run incorrectly, its off to one side.

7: check that the thread is correct on the rear spool and front pulley then clip the end of the spring over the pin(4). Do this for both sides.

If things have gone correctly the shade should be under slight tension holding it open & it should resemble the first photo. The next problem was how to keep it together. If you pick it up the spool pin will pop out of the socket, the thread will come out & it's back to square one. I tested this.

The solution was to tie a loop of string through each of the rearmost mounting holes. The two loops should not meet if you pull them together. Size it to leave an few inches between them when they are under tension.

Very carefully, with your hands over the socket on each side, turn the shade over so that the underside of the shade is facing up. Pull the two loops toward each other and use a zip tie to tension the assembly enough to hold it together but not hard enough to break anything.

You can now re-install the shade in the car. Support the shade by the roller with one hand and put one of the center screws in on each side but leave them loose. Install the rest of the screws but don't tighten them yet. Cut the string loops & remove them. Snug each of the screws then test the operation of the shade & adjust them before the final tightening.

Or just don't mess with the thing in the first place. That would be my recommendation.

Good luck

Guy
Brabus007 likes this.

Last edited by SMART; 03-21-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added image tags
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gamsberry For This Useful Post:
a2jack (04-17-2012), Brabus007 (12-15-2011), elpayo (12-24-2013), Grump (03-31-2014), MicksCamaro (06-27-2013), Phredbird (04-16-2012), smartelda (08-25-2011), wahi (05-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 AM

Guy,
Thanks for the info. Your "just don't mess with the thing" recommendation will be followed to the letter....
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Made this a sticky; don't want it to get lost and someone else have the same problem. Thanks for posting - great info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Need some help please. I purchased 3 smarts (2 05' passions and 1 06' passion) for my company from a dealer in Washington. They were brought down from Canada. The inside roof had some kind of fabric coated rubber glued in which i hated. I wanted to experience the view so i tore them off of two of the cars which i really like a lot. Only problem is that they heat up in the sun.
So my question is, does anyone know where i can buy these sundshades to install?
Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Satellite Radio Installation

I had a Satellite radio installed by Best Buy. They took down the roller sunshade and it came apart. They are replacing the sunshade but it's annoying to be without it. Be very careful if you take the sunshade down!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 AM

I have a 2006 smart and I have the same padded roof that is glued in. I haven't taken mine out yet for that reason. I just saw this magazine called "IMPROVEMENTS" that shows a full Sun Shade for only $45. I figured that it couldn't be the best product out there for only $45,but it might last until more after market products become available for smart.

I am going to get my padded top removed by the company that is doing my wrap. They said that they had some great glue remover and they would do it for me when they had the car. I am going to try to figure out a way to make the padded roof so that I can remove and reapply it if I want.

I am going to try this retractable sun shade. I will let you know.

The SKU # 270888
IMPROVEMENTS is the catalog or go to ImprovementsCatalog.com

Debbie
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Guy,

First post--joined the board after spending a frustrating hour trying to figure out how to re-assemble my shade (and another half an hour worrying about how much the dealer was going to charge me for my stupidity).

Followed your steps and had the shade back in my car in less than 45min--you rock!!

-david
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsberry View Post
...It took a couple a couple of beers and some thinking to figure out how to get it put back together and then how to get it back in the car in one piece...
Interesting how your creative solution provides support for the recent study that found a couple beers seem to make men smarter (or at least be more creative in problem solving):

Creative Problem Solving: Forget the Focus

I'll drink to that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart Enuf For This Useful Post:
a2jack (04-17-2012)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Thanks from Barcelona

Hey man,

Thanks a lot for the post, I were going crazy with the problem and no have solution, but now I expect I can fix it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you had to take this down for some other reason could you not loosen all screws and then loop something around the whole thing to keep it together. Then finish removing said screws, thus maintaining tension on the little bugger!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f369/fabric-sunshade-installation-4626/
Posted By For Type Date
Sunshield help - 451 smart fortwo This thread Refback 08-04-2008 04:36 PM
Roof screen problem - smart USA insider This thread Refback 06-30-2008 04:40 PM
Roof screen problem - smart USA insider This thread Refback 06-22-2008 02:57 PM
Roof screen problem - smart USA insider This thread Refback 06-17-2008 10:22 AM