2Likes
  • 1 Post By dhirtle
  • 1 Post By ttorion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It took me a couple of hours, mostly since I was flying blind and didn't want to mess anything up. If I did it again I'm pretty sure I could do it in an hour or less.

Disconnect ground from battery before you do anything else.

I could only get my car jacked/ blocked up about 7-8 inches. Plenty of room to get under and do the work, but not enough to completely detatch the belly pan (otherwise it hangs down at 45 degrees and gets in the way, makes it hard to reach the forward bolts on the tank. So some creative jacking w/ front end on the ground got me enough angle to get it completely off.

After the belly pan is gone, there is a stamped metal bulkhead held in by 6 bolts behind the tank. Once that's out the tank is fully exposed. Filler tube/ hose is at right rear corner and is easy to loosen/ remove. The tank has three mounting bolts along the fromt edge, two in the back. I siphoned as much fuel out as I could to lighten it. If you're working alone remove the left rear bolt last. There is a plastic ledge under the opposite front corner flange that will hold the tank in place while you loosen that last bolt, plus you're on the "heavy" end with the charcoal canister attatched. You can't really get to any lines until you drop the tank at least part way and all except the wire to the sensor near the charcoal canister had enough slack that the tank could easily be lowered to the ground.

Once it's down, it's quick work to detatch fuel/ vent lines and electrical harness from the pump. Loosen the large plastic ring holding the pump to the tank. Before the pump will lift out of the tank you have to detatch the pick up line "T" (quick connect fittings like the two on the topside of the pump) then shove the pickup lines back into the tank to make room for the pump to slide out. You have to fish it back out and reattatch once the pump is partway back in the tank.

The pump assembly is spring loaded so you have to keep downward pressure on the pump to start the threads on the plastic retaining ring all while not disturbing the o-ring between the pump and tank.

Then it's basically reversing the above process to button it back up.Make sure that wire to evap system doesn't get pinched between the tank and subframe. I didn't bleed any lines. The pump primed itself (took 4-5 tries to start before it built up pressure and allowed the starter to crank).

Hope this is helpful.
Kiwismart likes this.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dhirtle For This Useful Post:
Ataki (03-22-2019), BB Benz (09-08-2012), den458 (08-20-2018), Ja Po (03-22-2019), jsenka (07-20-2014), larryw4csc (08-31-2015), newtrix (03-11-2013), ttorion (06-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Replace perfectly good working fuel pump with a new perfectly good working fuel pump back in 2009 at Baker Motor Company (MB) came out to $1068 and change. I ordered my old fuel pump and all parts returned to me and tested it at a 42 pound head pressure in my little shop at 14VDC for 4 hours and it functioned perfectly, as it does these years later. So, I returned to Baker Motor Company and demanded they put my pump back into the car as there was nothing wrong with it when the car, once again, stranded me with a dead fuel pump, blown fuse. They fought me, of course, but relented as I was making a considerable noise about lawyers and court. I got half my money back but they refused to refund it all from the misdiagnosis of the power wire from the pump grounding out under a screw from the factory. Consider yourself lucky you figured out how to do it without the stealers.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone is doing this repair and need additional technical documentation, my dealer was nice enough to provide it here:
the files are zip files and inside are xps documents.

Edit ----
the instruction for the fuel tank removal is at 266KB compress and i cant get it below the 256 threshold. Darn limits.
heres the link to the instruction for removing the fuel tank : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h0ka11l9k...ultra.zip?dl=0
Attached Files
File Type: zip 451fuelpump.zip (207.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Ja Po; 03-22-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: file correction
The Following User Says Thank You to Ja Po For This Useful Post:
Ataki (03-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks dhirtle for posting this information. It gave me the inspiration to give it a try myself.

I've written up a blog post with pictures of my experience replacing the fuel pump in my 2009 Smart. The link is below.

Smart Fortwo Fuel Pump Replacement

Alan
jwight likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode