ForTwo HOV access - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ForTwo HOV access

A thread here perked my interest about the criteria used to allow vehicles to use the HOV lane. For those of us in urban areas, the prospect of HOV lane use is pretty enticing. As it turns out there are two qualifying categories here in California. (Go ahead and get your California heckles out; but, "as goes California, so goes the nation", or so the saying goes. While the HOV thing is also in large part driven by the Department of Transportation, these agencies cross reference each other's legislation. California is inevitably included because of the standards set by the California Air Resources Board.)

Anyway, the first is for alternative fuels (like natural gas) that qualify as both inherently low emission vehicles (ILEV) and as super low emissions vehicles (SULEV). Oddly enough, there are a lot of vehicles which meet this criteria but the Honda Civic GX is probably the only one available to the public in limited states.

The second category is for alternative fuel or gasoline hybrid vehicles which have a highway mileage rating of 45 mpg and qualify as a advanced technology partial zero emissions vehicle (AT-PZEV), super ultra low emissions vehicle (SULEV), or ultra low emissions vehicle (ULEV). There are catches here. It looks like ULEV vehicles qualified in 2004 if the mileage was above 45 mpg.

Although it talks about "hybrid" vehicles, it is hard to know how they qualify that (i.e., must it be partially driven by electric motors?), I'm guessing the more important thing is whether it qualifies for AT-PZEV vehicle emissions and this seems to be the criteria for current cars meeting the requirement.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5205_5.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm
Coming in at tier 2, bin 5 the Fortwo qualifies as ULEV vehicle. It's 2008 EPA highway mileage is slightly inadequate (41 mpg hwy), even though it came in at 45 in 2007. So, from what I can tell, it looks like the Fortwo will not qualify on either the mileage or emissions count.

They sure are close though. AutoCar suggests that the "mini hybrid drive" (on-off engine thing) improves the Fortwo's mileage by 6%. Depending upon rounding, that should put the Fortwo close to the 44 mpg highway mark. That's close enough to taunt the heck out of engineers and I'm betting they'll figure out how to get it there. The question then would be to see whether MHD would also bump up the emissions rating of the car to AT-PZEV. It is hard to imagine what "partial zero emissions" means unless there are electric motors. I doubt a car without emissions when sitting would qualify.

I think there are a lot of people driving a Prius or Civic Hybrid for the HOV access alone. Stoicism aside, I think the Smart would be a most welcome alternative.

Last edited by 08-4-2; 01-17-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the ForTwo will be allowed. Plus, I heard on the radio yesterday that the DOT is thinking about making some of the car pool lanes near LA toll lanes
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM

We also own a Prius and have the HOV lane stickers on it here in Los Angeles. Unfortunately the DMV has run out of stickers under the state program and no more are available. They cannot be transfered to a new car, they stay stuck on the original vehicle. Cars with the stickers are getting upwards of $3000 extra in resale value since that's the only way you can get stickers now, with a car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSOEMiller View Post
I don't think the ForTwo will be allowed. Plus, I heard on the radio yesterday that the DOT is thinking about making some of the car pool lanes near LA toll lanes
A couple of years ago, I made a temporary career change and found myself with a traumatizing commute. (I felt like a lab animal that gradually numbs out and becomes accustomed to pain.) Despite the fact that the carpool lane was incomplete and may have caused more misery and smog than it solved, I checked into the sticker thing. I called the DMV in Sacramento and was transferred around and ultimately talked to Mr. Sticker (obviously not his real name, which I can't recall); but he was solely responsible for administering the DOT's program in California. Perhaps a tad cynical, he said what most people don't realize is that these stickers are only good through 2008 and it will be up to the DOT whether or not they will renew the privilege.

It's not that I'm opposed to carpooling. It just often isn't practical with people's different after work activities or responsibilities. If they limit stickered cars, it's going to be a real waste having that under utilized carpool lane.

Up here, they aren't contiguous and exist primarily where they are least needed.

Last edited by 08-4-2; 01-17-2008 at 11:24 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM

The Aptera is a 3 wheel machine, classied as a Motorcycle. Automatic admission with 0 emissions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,506 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like California has combined High Occupancy and Low Emissions for entry into the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes. So it should be the HOLE-V lane, right?

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode