User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to hook up an iPod

HELP! I can't figure out how to hook up my iPod to my smart Car through the USB port...when I plug it in it just reads 'device unavailable' do I need a different cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Closed
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMaSmart View Post
HELP! I can't figure out how to hook up my iPod to my smart Car through the USB port...when I plug it in it just reads 'device unavailable' do I need a different cable?
I'm assuming you have the entryline radio, 2011+ models only. The iPod is not directly compatible with the usb input. It will only charge through that port, and *some* versions of the iPod will play music in a file format that is not meant for a human to understand.

The best way is to use the 3.5mm port and control your iPod music from the iPod itself.

The usb input is designed for mp3 files installed on a thumb drive or other hard drive. In other words, all the music files you placed on your iPod should be copied onto usb thumb drives as mp3 files. You can create folders and have song lists and you will then be able to browse your music collection directly from your entryline radio.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brand Manager Kamaal For This Useful Post:
b322da (12-28-2011), EMaSmart (12-28-2011)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM
SCOA Club

This system works well for me. I plug a 32 bit ipod connector into the ipod and then the single pin into a headphone amplifier in my glovebox (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20031047-285/pump-up-your-ipods-sound-for-$60/). I put a small hole in the rear of the glovebox to access the amp. The amp then connects directly to the built in smart connection. The ipod itself is in the cavity to the right of the steering wheel and is constantly charged via a usb connection (also part of the 32 bit connector wiring) in my 12 volt access point in the middle of the car. The wires are all hidden and I love the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Can I control the music on the radio if I am using the AUX input? or will I have to manually change things?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Closed
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Can I control the music on the radio if I am using the AUX input? or will I have to manually change things?
If you're using AUX you can only control music from your iPod. If you want to control music files, you can use a thumb drive in the usb port. Trying to use the usb port to control your iPod will not work because the entryline radio is designed for mp3 files and not Apple AAC files. The closest you can get to organized control would be to organize folders with mp3 files on your flash drive, then you can cycle through all your playlists and songs from the entryline radio.

Some iPods work through the usb port, and you can control the iPod itself through the entryline radio. BUT, it was not designed for that and as such there will be literally NO organized way of finding the songs you want to play. It's complete random computer assigned filenames.

You can literally hand Stevie Wonder an iPod and he'll have an easier time finding songs and playlists on it than you will trying to find songs on your iPod directly from the entryline radio.

Last edited by Brand Manager Kamaal; 01-02-2012 at 06:16 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:40 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My radio manual for my entry line radio in mt 2013 smart says that the usb only works with fat32 files which are what the Ipod touch is supposed to use am I missing something???
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the entryline radio (2011) and I have a similar problem. I cannot make the USB work. It always says "device unavailable" when a USB drive is plugged in. The user manual says it has to be formated in FAT32. I tried 3 USB drives (2GB, 16GB and 64GB) all formated in FAT32 (also tried formating them in NTFS, exFAT and FAT, with the same result). I also tried with my android phone. Same message appears when plugged in. "Device unavailable".
Smart suggested that I might have to place the mp3 files directly in the USB drive (no folders). I did that. Same thing.
I've tried an old 2GB iPod I had at home and it works.
Does anyone have any suggestion? Is there something I'm missing?
How do you guys make the USB drive work? What file system (format) do you have? How do you sort your mp3 files?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,817 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA! I'm using a 32GB USB stick in a 2011 and it works fine. Not sure what the issue with your radio is if the drive is correctly formatted and the files are actual mp3 format. Maybe a car stereo shop can help you out...
Smart Bob likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
The headunit has to be able to access the files you device youíre using. Because of this, phones are out of the question. iPhones and iPod Touch devices use a file system that the smartís headunit doesnít support and Androidís OS confuses the headunit so Android phones are not compatible either.

This leaves you with old iPods and USB flash drives formatted to FAT32. What are you using to format the drive? Mac or Windows?

Also make sure that these are mp3 files and that there arenít any weird folders that do not belong.

I also think the port in the car is a USB 2.0. Iím not sure what impact that has if your drive is 3.0. Technically you should be okay, but the headunit is kinda dumb, so Iím not sure.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM

Thanked 1,234 Times in 879 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Just use your old iPod for your music. I had the same issue, with my other brand vehicle too. ďDevice unavailableĒ. Even when Iíve added mp3 music from my iMac/iTunes. Same with data files. Formatted stick not correct? It madding. I've plug it right back into the iMac. To see if the memory stick was bad. Device unavailable. Itís crazy.

New after market sound systems for the smart car. Are cheap now. Iíd personal would replace the smarts head unit, with a better new one. Crutchfield carries a wide range. Bluetooth, hand free calls, USB that works etc. I like Bluetooth steaming. Even though USB is better quality. But itís a smartcar sound system.

Just use the iPod. It was designed for music. I use one, in all my cars. Itís got to be over 10 years old now. Plus I have a draw full, of old iPhone, I use for music too, in my cars, and the sound systems at home.

Good Luck.

Tags
ipod , radio , usb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode