Smart Car of America Forum banner

11 1/2 years and going strong!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 ·
I was quick to jump in the reservation line in '07 when Penske splashed the intention of bringing in Smarts. Plunked down my $99 reservation and waited. Car arrived in the December '07 shipment and I took delivery right after the first of the year; January '08.

I have done about 90% of all repairs and maintenance on it myself. Living in the snowbelt, the rear brake drum reluctor rings (anti-lock brake indicator) had problems with corrosion and cracked causing the ABS system to read a malfunction in wheel speed so the dash idiot light would come on every time you touched the brakes at low speed. The dealer repair was more $800 each side (they replace the complete final drive assembly instead of just the reluctor ring itself). I replaced both sides myself for under $20 buying the replacement rings from the UK where at the time it was the only available spot. I had to replace the clutch actuator assembly and I replaced the clutch at that same time as if you have that much out and open, at 70k plus miles it would be dumb to not put in a new clutch even though the old was functioning fine. I had to replace the driver's side seat belt female side as it the clip stopped engaging and the belt wouldn't snap. Another $75 job and DIY for about an hour. Three full sets of tires counting what came on it; front and rear brakes and that's it for what I needed to the 12th year of ownership. I need to get at the air controls as they are wonky with the control part, but still work ok but need to be re-aligned so that the indicator reads correctly. I have the clear coat paint failure issue that everyone else with '08-'10 smarts have and I've pulled only the hood panel, sanded down the whole thing and re-shot it in clear with a rattle can. It's not factory by any stretch but looks ok from 10' away. Now all of the horizontal surfaces are losing the clear coating and its failing in sheets. Have not decided what to do about that if anything. The car looks great overall but the failed clear makes it look very junky which is too bad, as the plastic panels have worn really well and look new where the clear is still holding solidly to the plastic.

See less See more
#4 ·
Have you thought about DIY vinyl wrap on the car? I have 2 out of 4 fenders to replace, but instead of springing for custom matching paint, I’m going to wrap all four fenders with a complementary color vinyl that transitions from blue to purple! My 2005 G&K is painted Lamborghini Viola Ophelia.

#5 ·
If the clear coat is failing, a wrap most likely won't work. The only repair aside from replacing the plastic is to sand it off and respray the clear coat. a wrap over the top will most likely come off with the clear coat. It would hold for a while, but once the clear coat peels off, the wrap would come with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.