User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2009 model

I'm due to get my Smart Fortwo in late fall....Will it be a 2008 or 2009 model...Has anybody heard when the 2009s will be released??
Tstarky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,529 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing factual from Penske Auto Group at this point. Lots of speculation on when the changeover will be. Rumors of new models for 2010. Stay tuned.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM
smart happens here!

Generally model year changeover in European factories is september -ish, unlike domestically (mid-summer) - which seems to get earlier all the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:44 AM

All we know is pure speculation.... I really would like to hear Dr Z and R Pensky address this topic.... They probably don't know the complete answer, but I bet they have much better educated guesses then we do.

Could be MB will produce 08s on thier natural schedule and continue with 09 without retooling or training because current rumor is zero 09 changes.

I suspect through the 07 Euro spec and 08 Euro / North America spec there will be subtle changes, elimination of errors (door lock modules part num confusion) and maybe minor cosmetic changes.

Market forces could cause different exterior or interior color and materiel choices. If there are any different NA / USA options--- I suspect the lists of late reservations who will be in the 09 group may see them on the configurator form

Really to early to do more then speculate

I hold a 1470 res num and expect it to be a 09 and perhaps other "choices"... I am fairly sure I will not be offered a 09 Pulse option or any Turbo option.

I will put in a third reservation in time to be very early 2010 confirmation hoping for a factory Pulse turbo model

I strongly think any well maintained 08 or 09 can be traded in for little or no lost equity the first few years....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 AM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredvon4 View Post
All we know is pure speculation.... I really would like to hear Dr Z and R Pensky address this topic.... They probably don't know the complete answer, but I bet they have much better educated guesses then we do.

Could be MB will produce 08s on thier natural schedule and continue with 09 without retooling or training because current rumor is zero 09 changes.

I suspect through the 07 Euro spec and 08 Euro / North America spec there will be subtle changes, elimination of errors (door lock modules part num confusion) and maybe minor cosmetic changes.

Market forces could cause different exterior or interior color and materiel choices. If there are any different NA / USA options--- I suspect the lists of late reservations who will be in the 09 group may see them on the configurator form

Really to early to do more then speculate

I hold a 1470 res num and expect it to be a 09 and perhaps other "choices"... I am fairly sure I will not be offered a 09 Pulse option or any Turbo option.

I will put in a third reservation in time to be very early 2010 confirmation hoping for a factory Pulse turbo model

I strongly think any well maintained 08 or 09 can be traded in for little or no lost equity the first few years....
As a fellow 1470 I agree, but be cool about the mods and doodads on your potential trade-in smart.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Closed

Somewhere I read that 2011 is to be a pivotal year for smart. If smart does well up to that point there will be a new facelift for 2011; it it doesn't, smart is all done.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM

I had google translate a few French and German auto news items. What fishrdnc said seems to be the common wisdom in their trade news... this NA version 451 is the last chance for the Smart brand and 2010~2011 are major decision years

Fortunately, what I have heard Dr Z was researching/considering.... re allocate from under performing markets to the NA market ...The tone sounds like this may be a serious option....

According to the items I read. MB-Smart is doing a hard sell ad campaign to bolster sales.... lots of lamenting world economy slow down, and plenty of complaints that it is all America's fault.

One report suggested the French President getting friendly with Bush was to enhance trade ---deep in the article was a reference to all sorts of exports from France to America---the Smart car was listed--- and why my search engine found the article
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
SCOA Club

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
So is it a good idea to buy or not?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
smart happens here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight36 View Post
So is it a good idea to buy or not?
if you're happy with the 2008 model specs, jump in! If you're hoping for a alternate drivetrain (hybrid, diesel, turbo), placing a reservation can't hurt, you can always cancel later.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM

jediknight36

1.... great little car for the price--fun to drive--relatively cheap to own and operate

2.... resale should be better then most competitors for first two~three years

3.... more demand in this market segment is good for America*

4.....more demand increases competition from other brands and consumers always will in competitive markets

5....odds are good that oil will continue into new highs over $100per bbl... no doubt we see $3.50 this summer fall back to $3.25 in the fall setting up same dynamic to get us in the $3.75~$4.25 game in less then 24 months....by 2010 we will be done complaining and freely paying near $4.00 as if it was normal....this represents a 200+% increase in under 10 years something this market has never done and sustained...

1,2 and 5 are good sense reasons to get one-- 3 and 4 are good citizen reasons to get one...

* good for America in the sense that we really do need to think smaller and more effecient... I own and use SUVs and big trucks..I would like to continue to--- for the purpose they are best suited...one person commuting in the giant arsed gas suckers is irresponsible and economically stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode