Smart Car of America Forum banner

400 Mile Club

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  unicycle 
#1 ·
Using the "search" thread it seems no one has broken the barrier yet and no one has started this thread.

I've broken the 350 mile mark by quite a bit a few times but fall short of the 400 mark, Once I could of made it - but just slightly....I'm going to break it in the next few weeks! :D

So the question is....HAS ANYONE BROKE 400 MILES ON A TANK OF GAS YET?

#6 ·
I'm quite sure it can be done. I used to say the same thing about a Civic I used to own - there was a 650 Mile Club on a 13.2 gallon tank - requires around 49.2 mpg to achieve that. I said the same exact thing UNTIL I DID IT multiple times! They actually had a few elite people who even made it to an 800 Mile Club though the best I did was just break 700.

As many of our cars break in and loosen up I fully believe our mileages will soar and MANY of us will continue to blow those horrible EPA ratings out of the water. When that happens, there will be quite a few who will be in it. My point where I will be satisfied is when I get 450 miles out of a tank - baby steps though so 400 miles is a realistic expectation for me.

I do understand that some people's conditions they drive in will not allow them the luxury of being able to let the car achieve it's full potential due to stop and go traffic, hills, road conditions, excessive stop lights, etc. When that happens, it is definitely unrealistic to get those figures to get the illusive 400 mile tank. Remember, you're doing a whole lot better than that guy or soccer mom in the SUV next to you no matter what.

#4 ·
I'd be thrilled to reach the 350 club on 8 gals. I think a trip to Houston from the Hill Country of Texas should at least get me to the 350 Club. However, I may have to keep it 60 mph or below. I will have to have the A/C on as it's too humid and hot most of the time!

#5 ·
I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but that's with lot of stop/go traffic, heavy loads, some A/C and serious mountain roads! I have to take close to a 400 mile trip this coming week, and I'm sure going to try to come close to it. BUT, it all depends if NorCal cools down by Wednesday! I'll give it a try, but that is going to be a very hard barrier to break even under the best conditions. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Sorry Brad, I looked, searched etc. trying to find the thread as I didn't want to dupe a thread & offend anyone. Maybe they can just go ahead and merge the 400's.....:eek:

Great job - that makes you almost my hero. I stop filling as soon as I get the first click. You're doing GREAT! Keep it up, do you have logs as to what your lifetime average is?

#9 ·
Sorry, Tenn_Brad, but I am unable to resurrect your old thread. The search feature is wonky for me.

Anyhoo, I hit 402.1 miles today. I cheated a bit, but I think it counts:

I was making amazing milage since the last fillup, but as I was leaving my area with about 65 miles before the cheaper gas of Joisey, I realized I needed a bit more gas just to be safe. I filled up at a local station, putting in one gallon (I was really careful) before heading out. I've never topped off the tank, and I've recorded every fillup since I got the car.

I've been hypermiling it for a month or so. Here are my current tricks:
1. Easy on the accel, and rarely use the brakes. Stop signs are somewhat optional. I treat them as suggestions and am always careful to at least let the gears slow me down, but I rarely stop as such.
2. Draft trucks when they are slow enough and when traffic permits, which is usually.
3. Avoid the 'grooves' and try to drive along the 'side' of the dotted line in the slow lane.
4. Drive no more than 60 mph (I seem to vary bw 50 and 60, maybe avg'ing 57).
5. Coast on the down-hills. I put the car in neutral.
6. Turn off the car at stop lights (esp in Manhattan).
... and maybe a few more.

Short version: I made it to the station and filled up. I put in 7.504 gallons, and adding that earlier gallon, I was at 8.5 gallons. Divided into 402 miles, that's an average of 47 mpg. And that's WITH the A/C on about 50% of the time.

I think that when the weather cools a bit, I can leave off the A/C and easily hit 50 mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.