Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
400 Mile Club

Using the "search" thread it seems no one has broken the barrier yet and no one has started this thread.

I've broken the 350 mile mark by quite a bit a few times but fall short of the 400 mark, Once I could of made it - but just slightly....I'm going to break it in the next few weeks!

So the question is....HAS ANYONE BROKE 400 MILES ON A TANK OF GAS YET?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
This would require an average of 46mpg or higher with an 8.7 gallon tank of gas. This is unlikely.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Its going to be tough when you are at sea level all the time, but I can't do much better when I coast down hill...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd be thrilled to reach the 350 club on 8 gals. I think a trip to Houston from the Hill Country of Texas should at least get me to the 350 Club. However, I may have to keep it 60 mph or below. I will have to have the A/C on as it's too humid and hot most of the time!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:57 PM
SCOA Club

400 Mile Club

I'm averaging about 44 mpg, but that's with lot of stop/go traffic, heavy loads, some A/C and serious mountain roads! I have to take close to a 400 mile trip this coming week, and I'm sure going to try to come close to it. BUT, it all depends if NorCal cools down by Wednesday! I'll give it a try, but that is going to be a very hard barrier to break even under the best conditions.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferios View Post
This would require an average of 46mpg or higher with an 8.7 gallon tank of gas. This is unlikely.
I'm quite sure it can be done. I used to say the same thing about a Civic I used to own - there was a 650 Mile Club on a 13.2 gallon tank - requires around 49.2 mpg to achieve that. I said the same exact thing UNTIL I DID IT multiple times! They actually had a few elite people who even made it to an 800 Mile Club though the best I did was just break 700.

As many of our cars break in and loosen up I fully believe our mileages will soar and MANY of us will continue to blow those horrible EPA ratings out of the water. When that happens, there will be quite a few who will be in it. My point where I will be satisfied is when I get 450 miles out of a tank - baby steps though so 400 miles is a realistic expectation for me.

I do understand that some people's conditions they drive in will not allow them the luxury of being able to let the car achieve it's full potential due to stop and go traffic, hills, road conditions, excessive stop lights, etc. When that happens, it is definitely unrealistic to get those figures to get the illusive 400 mile tank. Remember, you're doing a whole lot better than that guy or soccer mom in the SUV next to you no matter what.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum-bling-B View Post
Using the "search" thread it seems no one has broken the barrier yet and no one has started this thread.

I've broken the 350 mile mark by quite a bit a few times but fall short of the 400 mark, Once I could of made it - but just slightly....I'm going to break it in the next few weeks!

So the question is....HAS ANYONE BROKE 400 MILES ON A TANK OF GAS YET?
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...html#post65754

Yes, I posted this appx. a month ago. Brad
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn_Brad View Post
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...html#post65754

Yes, I posted this appx. a month ago. Brad
Sorry Brad, I looked, searched etc. trying to find the thread as I didn't want to dupe a thread & offend anyone. Maybe they can just go ahead and merge the 400's.....

Great job - that makes you almost my hero. I stop filling as soon as I get the first click. You're doing GREAT! Keep it up, do you have logs as to what your lifetime average is?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, Tenn_Brad, but I am unable to resurrect your old thread. The search feature is wonky for me.

Anyhoo, I hit 402.1 miles today. I cheated a bit, but I think it counts:

I was making amazing milage since the last fillup, but as I was leaving my area with about 65 miles before the cheaper gas of Joisey, I realized I needed a bit more gas just to be safe. I filled up at a local station, putting in one gallon (I was really careful) before heading out. I've never topped off the tank, and I've recorded every fillup since I got the car.

I've been hypermiling it for a month or so. Here are my current tricks:
1. Easy on the accel, and rarely use the brakes. Stop signs are somewhat optional. I treat them as suggestions and am always careful to at least let the gears slow me down, but I rarely stop as such.
2. Draft trucks when they are slow enough and when traffic permits, which is usually.
3. Avoid the 'grooves' and try to drive along the 'side' of the dotted line in the slow lane.
4. Drive no more than 60 mph (I seem to vary bw 50 and 60, maybe avg'ing 57).
5. Coast on the down-hills. I put the car in neutral.
6. Turn off the car at stop lights (esp in Manhattan).
... and maybe a few more.

Short version: I made it to the station and filled up. I put in 7.504 gallons, and adding that earlier gallon, I was at 8.5 gallons. Divided into 402 miles, that's an average of 47 mpg. And that's WITH the A/C on about 50% of the time.

I think that when the weather cools a bit, I can leave off the A/C and easily hit 50 mpg.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

What were your RPM's?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode