24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I must say, I wish the steering wheel telescoped a bit because I have the seat ALL they way back. That being said, the driving position is pretty comfortable for long trips.

I forgot to mention that I bought one of the retro fit arm rests that slot into the center console cup holder. It's a little flimsy (due mainly to the stock center console construction) but serves its purpose very well! It is quite fatiguing to have your arms unsupported on a long journey so an armrest was a MUST
@Mr Pink , since your seat is all the way back do you have to position your shoulders forward (frankly how I see most men and women walk & sit but another topic for another day) or are you able to have your shoulders back? (how we should all be sitting/walking)
I ask cause I drive a BMW i3 and I have my seat all the way back but the steering wheel is VERY telescopic and it allows me to have my shoulders where they should be (back) instead of hunched forward like most people (like I use to sit/walk)
I fly out Tuesday to pick up my 453. Thanks for the insight from a tall person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ22 View Post
@Mr Pink , since your seat is all the way back do you have to position your shoulders forward (frankly how I see most men and women walk & sit but another topic for another day) or are you able to have your shoulders back? (how we should all be sitting/walking)
I ask cause I drive a BMW i3 and I have my seat all the way back but the steering wheel is VERY telescopic and it allows me to have my shoulders where they should be (back) instead of hunched forward like most people (like I use to sit/walk)
I fly out Tuesday to pick up my 453. Thanks for the insight from a tall person.
I must say, that is the only comfort issue I have. When I sit with shoulders back and elbows on arm rest - the most comfortable position, my fingers just reach the steering wheel so I can actually drive a straight road like that. But it means i have to lift one or the other elbow off the rest and extend my arm a little if I want a full grip on the wheel. Not the end of the world because for long drives, it helps to have a variety of positions.

I have found that the window sill makes a pretty good armrest too. It's big enough so you don't have to smudge the glass.

If I have both hands on the wheel, I can do so with both shoulders back
CCJ22 likes this.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Regarding tires, I have another thread somewhere here about my "experiment" with putting $30 tires of the correct size but different brand on the front (back still had plenty of tread). The 453 did NOT like that setup at all. Felt like it wandered down the freeway and gave me a few scares going around corners. The ONLY variable was the tires so I took them back (thanks to the awesome America's/Discount Tire) and traded them for the stock tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Kind of late to the party.... but just wanted to share my input on two things i've read.

1) the black grille with white tridion: It's the one thing i'm NOT a fan of on my Prime. I have a 2016 with blue panels and a white tridion. The upper grille is white, the lower grille is black. I keep thinking about one day taking the front panel off so i can remove the grille piece, and plasti-dip either the top one black or the bottom one white.... but at the same time don't want to risk ruining something since i've never taken that panel off before.

2) 3 oil changes in 42,000 miles? I'm sorry, but how is that catastrophically bad to some people? Oil changes are recommended every 10,000 miles. Yeah, there was a bit of a lapse in some of those that he was told, and it should probably have another one done quite soon.... but i don't think i'd say it's HORRIFIC to see that. There was a time or two where i neglected to follow the 10,000 mile mark to a T.... but I just recently crossed the 70,000 mile mark and, knock on wood, have had zero engine trouble so far. I'm thinking i should maybe look into changing the spark plugs sometime soon.... but that's a different story.

All in all, I love my 453.... just as i loved my 451 Brabus coupe. On a side note, the 453 sounds pretty nice without a muffler :P
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I must say, that is the only comfort issue I have. When I sit with shoulders back and elbows on arm rest - the most comfortable position, my fingers just reach the steering wheel so I can actually drive a straight road like that. But it means i have to lift one or the other elbow off the rest and extend my arm a little if I want a full grip on the wheel. Not the end of the world because for long drives, it helps to have a variety of positions.

I have found that the window sill makes a pretty good armrest too. It's big enough so you don't have to smudge the glass.

If I have both hands on the wheel, I can do so with both shoulders back
Quote:
Regarding tires, I have another thread somewhere here about my "experiment" with putting $30 tires of the correct size but different brand on the front (back still had plenty of tread). The 453 did NOT like that setup at all. Felt like it wandered down the freeway and gave me a few scares going around corners. The ONLY variable was the tires so I took them back (thanks to the awesome America's/Discount Tire) and traded them for the stock tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
Kind of late to the party.... but just wanted to share my input on two things i've read.

1) the black grille with white tridion: It's the one thing i'm NOT a fan of on my Prime. I have a 2016 with blue panels and a white tridion. The upper grille is white, the lower grille is black. I keep thinking about one day taking the front panel off so i can remove the grille piece, and plasti-dip either the top one black or the bottom one white.... but at the same time don't want to risk ruining something since i've never taken that panel off before.

2) 3 oil changes in 42,000 miles? I'm sorry, but how is that catastrophically bad to some people? Oil changes are recommended every 10,000 miles. Yeah, there was a bit of a lapse in some of those that he was told, and it should probably have another one done quite soon.... but i don't think i'd say it's HORRIFIC to see that. There was a time or two where i neglected to follow the 10,000 mile mark to a T.... but I just recently crossed the 70,000 mile mark and, knock on wood, have had zero engine trouble so far. I'm thinking i should maybe look into changing the spark plugs sometime soon.... but that's a different story.

All in all, I love my 453.... just as i loved my 451 Brabus coupe. On a side note, the 453 sounds pretty nice without a muffler :P
Thank you for the input guys
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CCJ22, so did you get the car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode