4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Aftermarket radio install

I've gained a lot of info here but still coming up short on the correct way to wire an aftermarket head unit in my 2015 Cabrio.

The unit is an Alpine iLX-007. Crutchfield suggested a Metra 70-1784 adapter for the unit, but I also read elsewhere from people that actually installed an aftermarket unit used a Metra 70-1783. I tried the 1783 but got nowhere. I will recheck everything and use a meter tonight as I was a bit rushed. Crutchfield advised to switch the yellow and red around as well. Evilution advises that should not be the case but 'some creative' alternatives might be required since there is no ACC position.

So for those who have actually done it- What to do about the ACC wire and what adapter was used. Hopefully you can help me to get this wrapped up.

On a side note, has anyone removed the front roof trim on a Cabrio? Evilution has a guide for a coupe, not a Cabrio. I've removed the visors and 4 bolts but cannot get the outside edges loose. I managed to stuff the cables (for a mic and dash cam) but would really like to do it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAndrew View Post
I've gained a lot of info here but still coming up short on the correct way to wire an aftermarket head unit in my 2015 Cabrio.

The unit is an Alpine iLX-007. Crutchfield suggested a Metra 70-1784 adapter for the unit, but I also read elsewhere from people that actually installed an aftermarket unit used a Metra 70-1783. I tried the 1783 but got nowhere. I will recheck everything and use a meter tonight as I was a bit rushed. Crutchfield advised to switch the yellow and red around as well. Evilution advises that should not be the case but 'some creative' alternatives might be required since there is no ACC position.

So for those who have actually done it- What to do about the ACC wire and what adapter was used. Hopefully you can help me to get this wrapped up.

On a side note, has anyone removed the front roof trim on a Cabrio? Evilution has a guide for a coupe, not a Cabrio. I've removed the visors and 4 bolts but cannot get the outside edges loose. I managed to stuff the cables (for a mic and dash cam) but would really like to do it better.

I removed the roof trim in my Cabrio. Remove the A Pillar trims to expose another screw at the corner of the trim panel. Once the screws are removed, you can pry down and disengage all of the snap clips for the panel. Once you release all the snap clips, the entire panel has to be pushed toward the front of the car to release. It has tabs across the front of the panel that hook into the windshield frame at a front to back direction. I discovered this the hard way when I broke 2 of the tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tim_arkansas For This Useful Post:
jAndrew (04-18-2018)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_arkansas View Post
I removed the roof trim in my Cabrio. Remove the A Pillar trims to expose another screw at the corner of the trim panel. Once the screws are removed, you can pry down and disengage all of the snap clips for the panel. Once you release all the snap clips, the entire panel has to be pushed toward the front of the car to release. It has tabs across the front of the panel that hook into the windshield frame at a front to back direction. I discovered this the hard way when I broke 2 of the tabs

Thanks for saving me from the same mistake. How do the a-pillars come off? I thought there was a screw in the top under the roof trim. I was afraid to pull on the A-pillar too much since it already deform a bit from manipulating it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You are correct! Thanks for setting me straight. Itís been a while since I removed mine. The screw I was thinking about is the one hidden by the roof panel. I had it reversed! Ugh! That screw is the only screw that holds the A pillar trim in place. Once itís removed, the pillars are released by pulling toward the center of the car to release the tabs, then lift them out. The only screws for the roof trim are the 2 for the visors, and the one for the visor clip. Sorry for the misinformation!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

According to Metra's online parts guide the 70-1783 is the correct wiring adaptor. The part Crutchfield suggested is listed as 88-07 Aud. Plugs look identical however pin placement on the left side bank appear to be different. Metra Online | Parts | Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse

I thought though that a radio swap required some sort of SAM reprogram but I might be thinking of something else so don't quote me on this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_arkansas View Post
You are correct! Thanks for setting me straight. Itís been a while since I removed mine. The screw I was thinking about is the one hidden by the roof panel. I had it reversed! Ugh! That screw is the only screw that holds the A pillar trim in place. Once itís removed, the pillars are released by pulling toward the center of the car to release the tabs, then lift them out. The only screws for the roof trim are the 2 for the visors, and the one for the visor clip. Sorry for the misinformation!

I thought that was the case, thanks for the update. I still cannot get either of the outside corners loose to push forward, not sure what my issue is but I am using a lot of force and it is going no where.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
According to Metra's online parts guide the 70-1783 is the correct wiring adaptor. The part Crutchfield suggested is listed as 88-07 Aud. Plugs look identical however pin placement on the left side bank appear to be different. Metra Online | Parts | Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse

I thought though that a radio swap required some sort of SAM reprogram but I might be thinking of something else so don't quote me on this.
Thanks, I will give it another shot. Nothing from any of the posts or guides mention a reprogram. That really should not be required.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Aftermarket radio install

I'm installing a Joying android unit right now. I have the 1783 adapter. I'm still putting the bullet connectors on all the wires and subsequently it's still on my kitchen counter with a big hole in my dash. I should know more tonight after work or tomorrow morning

I have the 2015 ED btw

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

Check out my thread on the subject. here:https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...-007-a-147530/

Yes Crutchfield is right at least on a 15. Cross the yellow and red. Works great but check your connections.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Cross the red and yellow as in they both have to wire together on the radio side to the yellow on the car side ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode