Smart Car of America Forum banner

Bluetooth receiver in 2008 Smart Cabrio

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BB Benz 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2008 Smart Car, and am interested in installing a Bluetooth receiver. From what I've been able to figure out, since my Smart Car is pre 2010 and I don't have a USB in the glove box, I have 2 choices that appeal to me.

1) Get a bluetooth receiver that has a battery, plug it into the aux input in the glove box, and recharge it every once in a while.

2)Get a bluetooth receiver that doesn't have a battery and keep it plugged into the aux output. I'm thinking of the Kinivo BTC450. In a review of this product
it states that it must be plugged into a power point to work. That can present a problem for cars that keep power running to their 12 volt power points when the engine is off. Leaving the Kinivo BTC450 plugged into a car that sits parked for an extended period of time may end up draining the car's battery

I like the idea of simply getting into the car and having my phone instantly pair wlthout me having to mess with cables. But just a few days after I bought my car the battery got run down and I needed a jump, so I'm concerned about overusing the battery.

Does anyone know if my 2008 Smart Car runs power to the 12 volt input when the car is off?

See less See more
#3 ·
Bluetooth is designed, for connecting to a hands free to a phone, or a music device. Wireless connection. Has nothing to do with charging a device. I would just invest in a better after market receiver. Don't waste money on the radio 9-10 factory units. Buy a receiver that has USB/Bluetooth built in, if you want to charge a device, and use hands free. Check out Crutchfield audio. Lots of good low cost recieviers. Touch screen too.

Go the cheap way, don't care about sound quality. Just use you 12volt plug slot and and after market adaptor to charge your device. You might be able to wire off that into the glove box, to hid everything in there. That 12 volt plug in is dead when the vehicle turn off.

#4 ·
I think the OP is talking about battery operated Bluetooth transmitters vs. 12v ones. The 2008 smarts don't have an USB outlet to charge a Bluetooth.

Another thing to consider are reviews of Bluetooth transmitters. Some do a smack dab job at ruining output sound quality. Some have very little to no loss at all. Cheaper models will typically be more lossy.

I do charging the cheap way. I use a FM transmitter that I bought four years ago. Uses older charging technology so it'll charge anything with a USB port.

#8 ·
I've been using the Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth receiver in my smart for a year without problems. It has great range... well over 100'! So if the cell phone is in the house and I switch on the ignition, it will sync up... that may be either a feature or an annoyance to you. :wink:

I use it to stream music to the car's audio system and to answer incoming phone calls. The only downside is that it will only remember & pair with one Bluetooth device. So if two people are using the car, it must be reconfigured each time to change the pairing.

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories

It is a fairly easy install:

- Pull the radio to make running the wires behind the dash easier. Directions for this can be found elsewhere on this website.

- Feed the audio connector into the glove box through the small opening immediately above the jack. It will be necessary to temporarily shove something into this opening to pry it open a little further so the plug will fit through... try using a pen.

- Stick the button/microphone to a convenient spot - mine is on the left edge of the radio, with the wire running into the small gap below the radio.

- Plug the power adapter into the cigarette lighter. It will be switched on & off with the ignition, and automatically pairs with the phone. The power adapter also has a USB jack which is available to charge/power other items.

~toaster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.