User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Closed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The "Boat Load"

I’d like to witness a “full boat load” of smarts arriving in '08; it would be impressive. As best I can divine it, the smarts will be shipped between Zeebrugge, Belgium and Baltimore, MD by Wallenius-Wilhelmsen Line. W-W L’s “pure car carrier” fleet includes a ship with a capacity of 8,000 standard size cars – maybe 18,000 smarts, maybe more. Wow!!

Last edited by Old smart; 09-02-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Smart A**
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrdnc View Post
I’d like to witness a “full boat load” of smarts arriving in '08; it would be impressive. As best I can divine it, the smarts will be shipped between Zeebrugge, Belgium and Baltimore, MD by Wallenius-Wilhelmsen Line. W-W L’s “pure car carrier” fleet includes a ship with a capacity of 8,000 standard size cars – maybe 18,000 smarts, maybe more. Wow!!
Right! I was going to suggest that the first 300 car delivery will barely fill a single cargo container.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Closed

The Boat

Lhoboy,

I was being facetious about 18,000 plus smarts in a car carrier (PCTC). Nice thought though. There isn't a PCTC out there that has lashing gear for 18k vehicles! But, there are enough Wallenius departures out of Zeebrugge to the U.S. East Coast to accommodate whatever the smart factory can assemble for us (it is France ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Smart A**
SCOA Club

Quote:
Lhoboy,

I was being facetious about 18,000 plus smarts in a car carrier (PCTC).
Needless to say, I was being facetious as well about the 300 Smarts in a single container, but it is amusing to think how little space will be required to ship an entire production week's worth of cars (about 400) to the states.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
SCOA Club

Arriving Soon...

According to informed sourced (OK, those guys on the "other" forum), the first four US spec 451s are already on route to Baltimore. VINs are:

WMEEJ31X68K027284
WMEEJ31X68K027351
WMEEJ31XX8K027529
WMEEK31XX8K027575

(EJs are coupes, EK is a cabrio).

I wouldn't get too excited, though. I suspect they might all have an early date with a large, concrete barrier!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Closed

I was sort of guessing that the 20-or-so Euro 451 road show vehicles might be used for the testing after they had served their purpose. The bodies, engines, and drive trains are substantially the same.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Smart A**
SCOA Club

Quote:
I was sort of guessing that the 20-or-so Euro 451 road show vehicles might be used for the testing after they had served their purpose. The bodies, engines, and drive trains are substantially the same.
I don't think the euro versions will be useful for any testing as the feds insist on testing the actual production versions.For one thing, the tranny, a significant component, will be different. It would make sense that the first four US versions would be used first for the EPA tests and then the crash tests.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoboy View Post
Needless to say, I was being facetious as well about the 300 Smarts in a single container, but it is amusing to think how little space will be required to ship an entire production week's worth of cars (about 400) to the states.
I don't know were you got your info but the weekly production is 3365 cars per week, far more than the 400 you mentioned..
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
SCOA Club

Testing Procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoboy View Post
I don't think the euro versions will be useful for any testing as the feds insist on testing the actual production versions.
The NHTSA and EPA don't actually test vehicles for compliance with federal standards. They define the test procedures and acceptable results: the manufacturer is responsible for conducting the tests and certifying that their vehicles meet the standards. This testing is normally carried out at the manufacturer's own facilities. The resulting certification will be specific to a particular version of the car (e.g. US-spec).

The NHTSA does conduct the NCAP (aka "Star Rating") crash test. This test is not part of the federal regulations, so it's not required in order to sell the vehicle. Nor can a car "fail" the the NCAP test, although a 1 or 2 star rating would clearly be a marketing disaster. I'm sure that smart will want the NCAP test done sooner rather than later, in the hope that a good rating will allay questions about the fortwo's safety. That may where those first four smarts are headed....

Last edited by MicroNut; 09-04-2007 at 09:03 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Smart A**
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartmx View Post
I don't know were you got your info but the weekly production is 3365 cars per week, far more than the 400 you mentioned..
Well, since they are producing about 20,000 vehicles for the U.S. in 2008 and there are 52 weeks in a year, that comes to 385 cars per week.

Your number may be citing their total production for global distribution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode