broken catalytic convertor flange - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
broken catalytic convertor flange

i have a broken flange on my catilitic convertor. any one have or herd of this problem from the factory unit or an after market one/

my bolt flange broke off of mine yesterday on the way to the lake house. it got loud. pulled over and took a look underneath and there it was, broken clean off. will have to see what to do on monday.

i have the solo unit from smart madness. i did get a hold of them sat afternoon. boris said this is the first for solo. all though it has happened to other units even the stock ones. i took pics and sent them to him tonight.

will let every one know what happens this week.

i could not find anything on this problem.

thanks frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fts1966 View Post
i have the solo unit from smart madness. i did get a hold of them sat afternoon. boris said this is the first for solo.
..don't know the guy...but I can tell, from what has been posted here, that their business ethics is what the whole auto industry should be like...

jetfuel..

Last edited by jetfuel; 08-30-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Boris (who is awesome!!) tried to scare me into getting rid of my after market
exhaust and getting a better one because of that problem (I have a exhaust
they refuse to sell because of problems like this) and he did a good scaring me. Now I don't feel so bad knowing the Solo did it too. Sorry for your problem but seems like the cat
on the smart is a little weak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
i have a broken flange on my catilitic convertor. any one have or herd of this problem from the factory unit or an after market one/
WOW!:eek: I'm sure someone has experienced this but it's a first for ME to hear about it. Let us know how this turns out, as I'm seriously considering a 'dual center-exit' system and the outcome of your situation will weigh heavily on my decision as to which one to buy.

But I wonder, do you think that maybe the 'chrome package' you guys installed was TOO HEAVY?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned
SCOA Club

I've had a few dealings with Boris and you can't ask for a nicer, more honest guy to deal with in regards to parts....well, of course I would be up there too, but I don't deal with SMART parts, only dumb old Mopar Parts!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

hey panda,

lol, my mom and alan's mom asked the same thing that maybe the chrome things were to heavy. well they are plastic and hollow only weigh about 2 oz.

any way.

boris is doing a great job will wait to hear the out come of this this week.

frank
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:

my bolt flange broke off of mine yesterday on the way to the lake house. it got loud. pulled over and took a look underneath and there it was, broken clean off. will have to see what to do on monday.

i have the solo unit from smart madness. i did get a hold of them sat afternoon. boris said this is the first for solo. all though it has happened to other units even the stock ones. i took pics and sent them to him tonight.

will let every one know what happens this week.

i could not find anything on this problem.

thanks frank
I broke mine a while ago using one of the early versions of an aftermarket exhaust.

I removed it and welded it back on, took that exhaust off, went back to the drawing board.

I am now running a header with 28 inch primary tube and a nice 3 into 1 collector. (see avatar)

I also am running an engine damper to reduce the movement which it does. it is a prototype and has been a great solution. No exhaust breaks, no transmitted noise like the first try, the torque link.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

okay after a talk with jeff from solo, and then a talk with smart merriam where i bought the car, also some pics of the break. and some chat with boris from smart madness. all people involved are very professional. my dealer is going to order a new converter in the morning under warranty. i will let every know as things come about.

it would be nice to have a couple more beads of weld around the back side of the flange, as there are none

frank
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Thanks guys for the nice comments... I truly appreciate it and so does our entire team.

Now to the exhaust...

We have had a lot of customers that have purchased SOLO units and this is the second time this has happened. The first one happened at our shop with IBKing. We had the guys next door install it and they used an impact wrench on it and got the sleeve on so tight that there was absolutely no movement. They put the bolts on wrong and this may have caused the cat to break in the same place.

We did not know for a fact on whether or not that was the reason for sure, but it was a good guess. We took care of the customer right away (as I am sure he will tell you) and the issue was solved. In order to save time we took off a cat off our own car and replaced the customers broken unit. Then got the damaged one welded back together (it cost us about $50 since all it required was a simple weld around the flange area) and put it back on my own car. Never had an issue since then.

We have had other exhausts break apart, break cats, damage body kits and fall off on the freeway. The manufacturer denied it repeatedly and then put us through a lot of trouble to get them fixed. Most we fixed at our own expense.

After a while we got tired of this mess and stopped dealing with the manufacturer because of their refusal to address and resolve this issues in a way we thought was fair to the customer and us. We still have a couple of them sitting around, but I simply cannot sell them without telling anyone that is interested on what has and can happen. I will probably have them sitting here for a looong time due to this, but I would rather this happen, than simply trying to make a quick buck by selling something I can no longer stand behind.

That is why when ADilwicius showed up to our shop a couple of days ago (very nice guy) and showed me the new (used) exhaust he bought from someone for $100 (not SOLO) that I know will break (because they ALL broke including the one I used to have on my smart) and do damage to his car and maybe the person behind him (if and when it falls apart while he is driving) I asked him to Plleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaseeee take it off or at least take it to a muffler shop and have them put it a sleeve joint or a flex pipe asap.

Now back to the SOLO...

The nice part about these folks is the following. They treat their customers like they want to be treated. First thing this morning (as promised) I contacted them about the CAT breaking. The owner himself called me back right away and said "This is the first time it has ever happened, but we will stand behind the product and take care of it right away." No denials, no arguments, no BS!

He asked before I even offered if he could get a hold of the customer and called right after he got off the phone with me. During my conversation he assured me that they stand and will always stand behind their products if something like this ever happens again.

Whether or not the SOLO caused the CAT to break we do not know for sure. We have heard of cats breaking at the neck even with the stock exhaust. The metal can get very, very thin there. The nice part is that unlike other times when we had a product issue when I contacted THIS manufacturer they did not dance around and offered to take care of the fix right away.

Frank.... Please contact me with anything and we will do our best to make sure we take care of this or any other issue you may have with a product that you purchase from us.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good reply!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode