To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,760 Times in 867 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Country roads, take me home...

I took a drive that would have made John Denver proud this past week. I had a work meeting on the other side of the state at Snowshoe, WV in Pocahontas County. I got a chance to give the new BMS engine mount a workout with positive results (see the BMS Engine Mount thread) and managed to get some great fuel economy along the way (see Fuel economy tricks thread).

I stuck to the back roads and enjoyed some two lane parts of the state that I have not seen before. There is some beautiful and very rural country on the eastern side of the state. I live in a rural area, but this is RURAL! At least I'm only a half hour from a gas station and grocery store, these folks really have to drive.

Cruising along the creeks and streams, it was cool enough to skip the AC and just drive with the window down which probably helped a good deal on the MPG front. I probably averaged 50-55 mph over the trip to and from Snowshoe. Of course, there was a fair amount of mountain climbing involved.

And, to top it off, I had a smart sighting on my way. I hardly ever see another smart in "downtown" Charleston, but I passed a yellow one in the middle of nowhere around the Monongahela National Forest. We both waved and honked, what a hoot!

Just thought I'd share my short road trip experience....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Good for you. My wife's from WV, and she absolutely HATES rural two lanes. Not me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
I was born in Wheeling. Still get that fealing now and again.... Sounds like a great drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Member
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Was it a paved road? Wasn't that rural then. Seriously though. I love to drive the country roads where everyone that is sitting on their front porch waves because they only see one car pass by every half hour.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
To the XCAPEPOD!
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,760 Times in 867 Posts
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bum-bling-B View Post
Was it a paved road? Wasn't that rural then. Seriously though. I love to drive the country roads where everyone that is sitting on their front porch waves because they only see one car pass by every half hour.
Paved roads (and much better than I expected on most of the trip), but more livestock and deer than people!

I also forgot to mention that I tiptoed through an internationally recognized speedtrap in Summersville, WV. Of course, I wasn't on the cash cow Route 19, I just crossed over it and didn't see any cops. From Summersville, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Summersville, especially along U.S. Route 19, is well-known as a speed trap. In 2001 the police department of Summersville issued 18,133 tickets. :eek: Because of this, the city has been seen on several network TV programs including CNN, CBS, CBC, and the BBC. As late as 2007, the National Motorists Association ranked Summersville as the worst speed trap in the state of West Virginia. The city has been further seen in Money Magazine, USA Today, and dozens of local newspapers in the Midwest."

Last edited by rfernatt; 08-14-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode